Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EJ SWAP.. Alternator not alternating.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 beans

beans

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • West Bend

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:43 AM

i recently did a ej 22 swap and have been helped with other problems. but as i work on it i find more small problems.. this one is kind of essential to driving.. the alternator isnt charging the battery.. so im pretty sure it is because of the wiring.. i havent hooked up the black wire to anything simply because im not sure where to hook it to.. i have a 1986 subaru gl wagon. i assume it needs to go to a charging light on the dash but there is no charging light i know of.. also i know with the light there is a diode so i dont think i can hook it up to any old light and have it work.. please help i want to drive this thing.

Edited by beans, 16 March 2009 - 11:47 AM.

#2 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,894 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:00 PM

i recently did a ej 22 swap and have been helped with other problems. but as i work on it i find more small problems.. this one is kind of essential to driving.. the alternator isnt charging the battery.. so im pretty sure it is because of the wiring.. i havent hooked up the black wire to anything simply because im not sure where to hook it to.. i have a 1986 subaru gl wagon. i assume it needs to go to a charging light on the dash but there is no charging light i know of.. also i know with the light there is a diode so i dont think i can hook it up to any old light and have it work.. please help i want to drive this thing.

There for sure is a charge light in you're wagon. Left side of dash, low on the panel with the CEL, Brake, OIL and other lights.

#3 Lazer

Lazer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Norway

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:15 PM

As I remember there should be a wire comming from the alternator that needs switched 12v for the alternator to alternate :)
Sorry Don't remember the colour could be black or yellow or something :confused:
If not connected to a switched 12v source but directly to the battery you can hear a low noice from the alternator.

#4 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,985 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:50 AM

what year EJ22? there are a few different alternator setups. but most work the same way.

from the page I include with a new harness:
"Large white wire: this is where (as you’ve probably guessed) all the current is. This can be connected directly to the positive battery terminal (a large fusible link is a very good idea), but it might be easiest just to connect directly to the large white wire that went to your old Alt.

Yellow wire: This wire is for the voltage regulator. It needs 12v+ when the ignition is on. Very little draw here, so it can come from virtually anywhere. There is an existing wire in the EA harness that will work well for this.

Black with White: This is for the charge light on the dash. It will get grounded if the yellow is getting 12v+ but the alt is not charging. Completely optional."

if you've got good continuity between the large white wire and the battery. and you've got 12v+ at the yellow wire while the ignition is on. than it's not your wiring.

#5 beans

beans

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • West Bend

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:34 AM

problem fixed.. thanks much

#6 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,985 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:07 AM

problem fixed.. thanks much

sweet! glad to help. what did it turn out to be?

#7 beans

beans

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • West Bend

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:28 PM

i had the black wire wired wrong so it wasnt going through the diode on the charge light.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users