Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Outback joins the headgasket club

Well, I just had the head gaskets done on my 2000 Outback with 127K miles on the clock. I had it done at the local dealer for $1300. He did the repair with the engine out (his preferred method) of the car and resealed the separator plate, rear main, and oil pan (all the front seals were done with the TB at 105K). Even though it was done at 105K, he suggested having the tensioner replaced again as he said he had problems with them getting noisy if they were reused. It runs great and has stopped with the funny smells. :)

Anyhow, I have a hypothetical question for the USMB experts...

The TB job on the car was around $800 with all front seals, tensioner, water pump (much of it labor as you know). I also had leaking valve cover gaskets/o rings replaced at 120K. So, I ended up paying for the tensioner and valve cover gaskets/ o rings twice and some extra labor for the valve cover gaskets the first time.

Given the propensity of the 2.5 to blow head gaskets and otherwise leak, does it just make more sense to have the whole engine resealed at a TB change? Maybe this is overkill, but paying for a couple things twice over a short period of time made me wonder if this is better in the long run.

Any thoughts? My '05 Impreza has 84K on the clock and I am just considering what I should do when the TB interval rolls around.

FWIW...I hear alot about the HG problems being "resolved" by 04 and until a few weeks ago i havent seen a post 04 2.5 with the plauge.... However, We got an 05 Outback in the other day and believe it or not the Drivers side HG was seeping oil and coolant..and get this with 55k on the odometer....Anyways back to your question....When it comes to your Impreza personally if the HG's arent leaking i wouldnt worry about them..however it is a good habit to replace your cam seals, crank seal, reseal the oil pump, and replace the H20 pump, tensioner and all pulleys....and personally i even consider this overkill...When it comes to t-belts i replace the seals that are leaking and the pulleys that sound or feel rough....Oh and the price you paid for all that work is very good...at least compared to what we charge....