Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DirtyWagon build thread

JacksonRally

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With WRX horsepower, and fairly small sized tires he's running, I don't think he needs it.

Plus it would just *feel* like a major downgrade.

For speed for sure a downgrade, but with the low gearing and lower end torque, BACKED by horsepower, think of the climbing ability :slobber:

But i wonder how fast he'd burn through those older 3.90 trannies with the WRX torque and HP...

For speed for sure a downgrade, but with the low gearing and lower end torque, BACKED by horsepower, think of the climbing ability :slobber:

But i wonder how fast he'd burn through those older 3.90 trannies with the WRX torque and HP...

WRX trans already have a lower first and second gear, and I think are 4.11 final drive. So actually you might not end up THAT far ahead if at all.

Edit: Okay, just checked the charts. His WRX is likely excact same gearing and final drive as a EA D/R

It is the six speed that has lower gears.

Edited by Gloyale

DUDE!!

Seriously?!!

SICK!!

HOLY-FREAKIN"-COW!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::slobber::slobber::slobber::slobber::eek::slobber::eek::slobber::eek:

LOVE IT!

Your work is freakin' sick man! Awesome welds, good fabbing, great ideas, nice finish work, great reinforcements.. Lemme know next time you come to UT, if you make it to moab!

I would love to make it out to Moab. I have family in UT and I've already been out there twice this year.

WRX trans already have a lower first and second gear, and I think are 4.11 final drive. So actually you might not end up THAT far ahead if at all.

Edit: Okay, just checked the charts. His WRX is likely excact same gearing and final drive as a EA D/R

It is the six speed that has lower gears.

Yes I know the 6spd has lower gears, only cause my brother has an STI.

But I would like to know more about the final drive gears. (don't know anything or where to get the info) I wanna say there are some Subarus with 4.44's ??? I would like to start there. As of right now the power is great once I get moving, but off the line its like I have 5 people in it so its a bit sluggish in that respect. And there is virtually no power until I get some rpm's and thats not exactly "crawling"

i can't believe they let you rally cross it.did they not know you had a "lift" in it?don't get me wrong,it obviously handles it well,but i thought that was in the rules somewhere.

otherwise,do you need help at your shop?:grin:cheers, brian

Nothing in the rules saying I can't. And it is a lift kit, I actually manufacture the kit....its only 1'':lol:

Ahh the problems of a race-speced car with HIGH HP!

I think you'd be psyched to have the low range gearing of an EA82, for better "crawling" than 1st gear of your EJ tranny.

Though the Auzzies have DR AWD cars (with suky low range gearing). And with some modding, their DR trannis can be swapped out for the 1.59:1 low range of an EA82, compared to their 1.18:1 (found in 3.90 final drive legacies). BUT, their forester boxes are 4.11 final drive qand stock with 1.44:1 crawl ratio (also modifiable to 1.59:1). I'm not sure about 4.44 foresters (I assume in later year turbos) and OBs. I'd assume they got 4.44 too, and if they did, I'm not sure what their crawl ratio would be (assume still 1.44:1 low range)...

Anyway, fun ideas!! But for crawling, I'm sure you'd be more psyched with lower crawling gearing, BUT your turbo's still going to kick in at higher RPMs, and deliver the torque and HP probably above 3000 RPM,probably closer to 4,000...

Yes I know the 6spd has lower gears, only cause my brother has an STI.

But I would like to know more about the final drive gears. (don't know anything or where to get the info) I wanna say there are some Subarus with 4.44's ??? I would like to start there. As of right now the power is great once I get moving, but off the line its like I have 5 people in it so its a bit sluggish in that respect. And there is virtually no power until I get some rpm's and thats not exactly "crawling"

• 2 weeks later...

technically the "crawl ratio " is the first gear number,diff numbers,and t-case numbers all done up.

the only tranny you will find in 4.44 is an auto.which, built properly would be pretty sweet.the 4.44 diffs came out of forresters and some outbacks in the 2000 and above sector.

the key inlooking is knowing that it only came in automatics.i can get 4.44 diffs and trannies.cheers, brian

easier to just get the rear diff. i do not know if there is difference in the auto to manual ring and pinion.

might search on that one.

try looking for the front diff LSD thread.should be good info in there.cheers, brian

Could I just by 4.44 ring and pinion and have them installed on my diffs?

Any estimate on weight difference from pulling off the sheet metal then beefing up with the supporting steel?

Honestly I think it is about the same. I cut out alot of the car, plus I took away 9'' of height for the departure angle. I only put back in enough sheetmetal to make her air tight again. The tubing weighs approx. 1.5lbs per foot and there is just over 20' of tubing in there.

Like everything else on the car I modified the steering system a long time ago. Here is a run down of the components.

Howe power steering pump

Setrab power steering cooler

Larger fluid reservoir/ O-ring sealed (going into trash real soon)

AN fittings and lines

Howe 2:1 reducer in column

So thats all fine and dandy...but it has never worked like it should. The reasoning behind all of this was to run a 2:1 reducer (cuts turns of steering wheel in half) so I only have to turn my steering wheel 5/8 of a turn to make a u-turn. Problem is this doesn't allow the factory hydraulics to keep up with the new ratio. So I got a bad rump roast power steering pump made for a off road racing application. Then that led to a cooler and larger reservoir. Now with the lack of room under the hood its always been difficult getting the reservoir higher than the feed line to the pump. After moving the reservoir everything worked OK....then one day I blew a return line off of the fitting. I kinda used the lower quality aircraft lines rated at 250psi which should be fine on a return line seeing no more than 8-14psi....so I thought. Come to find out the reservoir should have a pressure relief cap and not be O-ring sealed :mad: Wonderful! Now I have to get another reservoir. So I got the reservoir on order finally cause yesterday I blew the line off twice!!!! and when it goes the fluid gets way to close to the hot turbo. So now I am running high pressure lines on the low pressure side just to be safe.

Pics are coming :grin: