Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

what should I ask?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gunablue

gunablue

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Eastern PA

Posted 18 January 2004 - 10:41 AM

I've got two burning questions.......

I have the chance to buy a brat with under 100k for about $1300. Is that a good deal? It's automatic and doesn't have t tops. Body rust is minimal as far as I can see and it's an 85. What should I offer if everything is ok? What should I look for as far as problem areas?

Next question, I have a 92 Legacy turbo that I bought several months ago. It's got 175k on it and ran like a top. It's got a new tranny, tires, water pump,front seals,timing belt, right cv joint, muffler. As of the last week, it's developed a tapping problem in the engine and it doesn't make much power. I'm not sure what the problem is, but my mechanic doesn't think it's anything serious. It starts right up and idles normally, but you can hear the valves/pistons moving on the drivers side. I'd have to sell it in order to buy the brat. What should I ask for it in it's present state?

Thanks!!

Bobby

#2 myles

myles

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • New York

Posted 18 January 2004 - 11:43 AM

Originally posted by gunablue
I've got two burning questions.......

I have the chance to buy a brat with under 100k for about $1300. Is that a good deal? It's automatic and doesn't have t tops. Body rust is minimal as far as I can see and it's an 85. What should I offer if everything is ok? What should I look for as far as problem areas?

Next question, I have a 92 Legacy turbo that I bought several months ago. It's got 175k on it and ran like a top. It's got a new tranny, tires, water pump,front seals,timing belt, right cv joint, muffler. As of the last week, it's developed a tapping problem in the engine and it doesn't make much power. I'm not sure what the problem is, but my mechanic doesn't think it's anything serious. It starts right up and idles normally, but you can hear the valves/pistons moving on the drivers side. I'd have to sell it in order to buy the brat. What should I ask for it in it's present state?

Thanks!!

Bobby

The US$600 (maximum) that you should offer for the Brat would be better spent repairing the Legacy Turbo.

#3 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,160 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 18 January 2004 - 12:16 PM

I suppose it would depend on what you really want... A Brat or a Legacy Turbo. for a Brat with under 100k, $1300 is not unreasonable, unless it has rust issues. The Brat has some rust problem areas. floor pan of the cab, check for "soft" seams there. also check the frame rails. I have a Brat from Pa, and the rear frame rail below the gas tank filler, has big pieces missing from rusting away. The rockers are another bad area. also, check the rear shock mounts. they are prone to get eaten away as well.....

of course, I'm biased.. :) but I'd like to have a Legacy Turbo though.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users