Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help Please, I'm a newbie here and....

Redelk

I need help.

I have a 1999 Forester. Love this car.

It has 300K miles, that have been wonderful, dependable, you know the drill, you guys are Subaru Junkies.

I now have a blown transmission. Went BANG on the Freeway, gooey black crud all over the pavement, felt like a gear came apart, stuck, unstuck. Very ugly.

So...Transmission shot, engine about done, clutch is already to go.

I want to replace everything, not sure what to get.

Apparently 99 manual transmissions are hard to find?

I don't really care if it is a 99 or whatever. Just want at least the same power, reliability, and be able to install the new stuff in the same location as the old stuff. I am a pretty good mechanic, just not sure what will fit and hook up to the current setup.

Help please. I need some help here.

Thanks.

RE

99's are a poor year as far as easy options. I've had unpleasant experiences with the engine - bearing troubles mostly. Had another one here this past sunday. 80k and bearings sounding bad.

I think the tranny is like the OB - kinda rare as well.

+2 on the axle.

I had an axle give way on me on the freeway. resulted in the same loud bang followed by no power and it a lot of noise.

for a auto tranny if an axle breaks you are dead in the water. I had a front axle come apart on my wife's SVX (mostly b/c I am a moron and didn't properly seat the snap ring) and it wouldn't move at all.

Take a look underneath and try to trace the source or your black goo. Look for holes or obvious signs of metal flying from your tranny.I say it's one of the inner cups that blew apart.

BW