Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rally racing

I have a 1989 subaru GL hatchback with a carb and I want to rally race the car and I was wondering if a WRX engine will fit in the car because I hate the carb and want fuel injecton and a turbo, bigger more powerful engine since I took it to a shop to get the cylinders bored out and the heads port and polished and the shop laughed at me saying "its a wast of time and money to bore out and port and polish the engine for rally racing just go out and buy a WRX" then I told them I couldn't afford a WRX cuz im a college student and can't afford it.

Also if anyone rally races what would be the way to modify the car for rally racing.

Be careful, there are people out there that are selling engines that they call WRX engines but are actually from a Legacy RS from Japan. Although they look similar, they are not the same, although some parts interchange.

Next, do you mean Hatchback or 3dr, the Hatchback looks like a short 2dr station wagon, the 3dr has a fast back sloping rear door with a large glass area.

The conversion can be done to either type of car, but it is not cheap, and I wouldn't think that it could be done on a students budget. A real WRX engine can start at about $5,000.00 and go up from there, add a few thousand more for the tranny, and a couple of hundred for the rear differential and you have bought the basic parts for the conversion. If you don't get a complete from wiring harness and ECU, then you will have to go aftermarket, those cost over $1,000.00. So, now before you have even put anything into the car, you'll have spent almost $8,000.00. I would think, having done something similar that you'd spend at least another $2,000.00, in in all you are looking at $10,000 and for that price you could pick up a 98 Impreza RS.

Power isn't every thing in rallying, in the canadian rally championship the under 2L classes are dominated by the subaru justy, 3 cylinders, some carbed, and no boost, but it comes down to their handling and nimbleness

That being said if you were to enter in a rally you'd have a great time with your car as it is, but with a wrx engine you'd most likely be in open class against all those evos and sti... don't think you'd want that:D

Not sure if it's possible to swap the WRX engine in, i haven't looked at a GL engine bay in a while, but i've seen it done to Loyale's so it may be possible. You'll need much more than the engine... tranny/ ecu/ wiring harnesses.. and your probably gonna need some custom driveshafts.... = $$$

If i were you i'd probably rally the GL for as long as i could or move up to the 1st gen Legacy if possible; which is a great base to start on and would be a very easy swap car in the future

I'm a student as well and am running my legacy turbo whenever i can in local events.... best of luck:D

I am not sure how the classes work where you live but here if you did that conversion for pro, club, or evin rally X it would throw you into open 4WD$$$$$.

if you just want to rally X it just keep it stock and have a good time. just a little $

if you really want to rally buy a prebuilt car that has a cage, seats, and all the other necessary gear.

basically find out what your local requirements are and go from there.

I am making the move from Rally X to club rally right now and it wont be cheap.