Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 Subaru Legacy Outback H6 3.0 VDC Wagon

I currently have a 2003 Subaru Legacy Outback H6 3.0 VDC Wagon with 125,000 miles on it. Since it is getting on in years, I have been thinking of getting a new 2009 2.5i model. Anyone have any thoughts on whether I su\hould keep the car or buy new? It has ben pretty reliable except for a belt issue and a fule pump issue both of which required a tow and which cme up after 100,000 miles.

Anthonmas

Since it is getting on in years,

You're kidding, right?

Anyone have any thoughts on whether I su\hould keep the car or buy new? Anthonmas

Obviously the decision--and the cost--are your choice. But the engine in my '95 Legacy at 127,000 miles is just now getting nicely broken in. (Granted, it's an EJ22!)

Good luck whichever way you go!

Blu has 245,000 miles on him and i conside him "middle aged"

125,000 miles your just past break in.

Of course there is the flip side that we need everyone who can afford to to buy a new car, but if thats the only reason, your car has plenty of life left in it.

nipper

If your asking my opinion...I would keep the H6...phenominal engine...and only those two problems....well if you had a standard 2.5 03 Legacy I can def. say you would prob have had many more severe issues than a FP and a Belt...HG cough cough...But yes sorry dont mean to get off on a tangent....I would keep the H6....

If you have been diligent on oil changes and coolant changes, all is probably well.

If the change interval has been much above 5000 miles, from what I've heard, you MAY (or may not) need to do the timing chains in the next 20-50,000 miles.

If the coolant change interval has been ignored, at some point the water pump may need to be changed, which is behind the timing cover with all the little bolts, and it is driven by the timing chain, so it could be a somewhat pricey repair.

But those are just two guesses, the 3 liter 6's are pretty reliable.

If you keep it, change the bearings in the accessory belt pulleys before too long.

Dave