Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2003 Subaru Legacy Outback H6 3.0 VDC Wagon

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 anthonmas

anthonmas

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • new jersey

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:01 PM

I currently have a [FONT="]2003 Subaru Legacy Outback H6 3.0 VDC Wagon with 125,000 miles on it. Since it is getting on in years, I have been thinking of getting a new 2009 2.5i model. Anyone have any thoughts on whether I su\hould keep the car or buy new? It has ben pretty reliable except for a belt issue and a fule pump issue both of which required a tow and which cme up after 100,000 miles.

Anthonmas
[/FONT]

#2 Olnick

Olnick

Ol' Subaru Guy

• Members
  • 2,561 posts
  • Honolulu HI

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:50 PM

[FONT="] Since it is getting on in years, [/FONT]

You're kidding, right?

[FONT="] Anyone have any thoughts on whether I su\hould keep the car or buy new? [/FONT][FONT="]Anthonmas [/FONT]

Obviously the decision--and the cost--are your choice. But the engine in my '95 Legacy at 127,000 miles is just now getting nicely broken in. (Granted, it's an EJ22!)

Good luck whichever way you go!

#3 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,542 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:25 PM

Blu has 245,000 miles on him and i conside him "middle aged"

125,000 miles your just past break in.

Of course there is the flip side that we need everyone who can afford to to buy a new car, but if thats the only reason, your car has plenty of life left in it.

nipper

#4 EVOthis

EVOthis

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,392 posts
  • Kennett Square PA

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:36 PM

If your asking my opinion...I would keep the H6...phenominal engine...and only those two problems....well if you had a standard 2.5 03 Legacy I can def. say you would prob have had many more severe issues than a FP and a Belt...HG cough cough...But yes sorry dont mean to get off on a tangent....I would keep the H6....

#5 3Pin

3Pin

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • Milwaukee

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:56 PM

On the flip side, if you can afford it, go for it. A new car is always a blast!!!

I am sure one of the gang here would relieve you of your old ride.

Good luck with the decison.

#6 CNY_Dave

CNY_Dave

03 LL Bean H6

• Members
  • 1,402 posts
  • Near Cortland NY

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:12 AM

If you have been diligent on oil changes and coolant changes, all is probably well.

If the change interval has been much above 5000 miles, from what I've heard, you MAY (or may not) need to do the timing chains in the next 20-50,000 miles.

If the coolant change interval has been ignored, at some point the water pump may need to be changed, which is behind the timing cover with all the little bolts, and it is driven by the timing chain, so it could be a somewhat pricey repair.

But those are just two guesses, the 3 liter 6's are pretty reliable.

If you keep it, change the bearings in the accessory belt pulleys before too long.

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users