Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I did it on a 97 OBW. If they're the same the assy. is secured to the column with headless bolts. Subaru recommends using new ones. I reused the old ones. I bought a set of "Grabits" to remove and install the bolts. Worked fine for me. On the original bolts the heads break away when the right torque is reached, I just got'em good and tight. The Grabits work really well by the way. A nice addition to the rollaway.

why are you removing the ignition assembly.? you don't have to unbolt it to remove the key lock cylinder. what's wrong with the car?

when i did it, i bought new 'snap bolts'. in hind site i should have just used regular bolts with hex heads. if they want to steal it they will, snap bolts aren't going stop them.

Edited by johnceggleston

why are you removing the ignition assembly.? you don't have to unbolt it to remove the key lock cylinder. what's wrong with the car?

when i did it, i bought new 'snap bolts'. in hind site i should have just used regular bolts with hex heads. if they want to steal it they will, snap bolts aren't going stop them.

oh yeah, i used a hammer and chisel / punch to slowly back out the screws, read about it in my haynes manual i think.

thanks for all the advice guys.

i don't want the whole assembly, just the lock cylinder. i figured there had to be a way to replace it without messing with the headless bolts, but i can't find it and all my fsm's and chiltons are still packed from recently moving.

the door locks on the OBS i got were screwed (as in with a flathead) so i swapped over the 93 imp's and i'm swapping the entire back hatch out today, lock and all. i'd like to just swap over the ignition lock cylinder so the car uses only one key again.

i'll try a hammer and chisel but if i have to get grabits i probably won't bother. the wreckers are coming for the car later today or early tommorow and i'm just grabbing the low hanging fruit that's left.

thanks for all the advice guys.

i don't want the whole assembly, just the lock cylinder. i figured there had to be a way to replace it without messing with the headless bolts, but i can't find it and all my fsm's and chiltons are still packed from recently moving.

it's easy put the key in the ignition and turn it a little, not even to the first click. then you need a long probe with a 90* bend on the end about 1/4" long, an ice pick wtit a crook on the end would be perfect.

on either the front or back side, probably the back, hard to see side, there is a 1/8" round flush pin press that in and pull on the key, the cylinder will slide right out.

i assume you have already removed the plastic covers.

good luck. aren't you glad you asked!!