Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Going to replace oil this weekend and got new oil filter: MANN filter W67/1, its hard to get hold on subaru filters and MANN seems to be pretty good from some filter reviews in europe (largest surface). However this filter looks so small. Sizes are 2.6 inch wide, hight is about the same and bolt size is M20 1.5 all these numbers seem right to me.

Guess they just get small these days.

The smaller filter is just that, smaller. If you want clean oil, I would suggest using a MagnaFilter. It spins on in front of your standard oil filter, and uses a magnet to get all the hard metal particles. There are a few places out there on the web, try Broncograveyard.com or usautoparts.com.

I just bought a Mobil One filter, and it was tiny too. The auto engineer in me knows size isnt everything, but the gear head in me thinks that larger filter means more oil cooling, flow, can cooling.

I trust Mobil One filters so I went with it.

nipper

those smaller filters will do the job, especially in the newer effiecent burning cars...if you look inside and compare for example a Subi filter to a Purolator, the subi filter is more tightly compacted...I have had the oil analysed on my 2001 at 5200miles, mostly highway miles at high speeds in very hot weather,...I was told "the oil was still good for much more since the TBN was only 4.3...1ppm chrome" (so a magnetic would serve no purpose here).."the oil and air filter are doing a very good job at keeping the dirt away"....I use either a mahle or nippon filter from rockauto and from walmart the Motorcraft semi-syn 5/20

Edited by Petersubaru

In high rpm applications such as racing, a smaller filters helps maintain more consistent and steady oil pressure due to less flex in the can and better responsiveness of the bypass valve.

For "normal" use, for which longevity and durability rather than preventing catastrophic failure are the goals, I would tend to think that a larger filter is better.

In the end, it's easier for Subaru to stock one filter for all their 4-cylinder offerings.

Edited by hohieu
typo

I took of the old filter and fitted the tiny new one after checking with an other car parts store. System is a bit different here than US. There are not so many parts stores and Wal-mart where you can buy simple car parts. Service intervals are every 12,500 km (about 7500 miles) much more than over there.

THink it will run fine, will see.

post-14134-136027631906_thumb.jpg

Edited by rverdoold

For the sake of our European OP, do you think ''Vince'' is hawking his wares over in Europe?

I don't know about the Netherlands. However, Vince apparently already has a Spanish-language version out. :eek:

To be more on-topic, the OEM Subaru part # 15208AA100 is the same ''small'' size that the OP described for the replacement.