Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how many cans of spray paint will i need?

the picture is a quick hack but you get the idea.

rally_wagon.JPG

anyway how many cans of spray paint do you guy figure it will take to do one full coat of paint ?

as many as it takes, ha ha. what kind of quality do you want? at wally world you can get spray paint for 96 cents a can.

i just painted my 84 gl with a brush with WM oops paint that cost $7.88 for the gallon and I only used a third of the gallon.

I could paint 3 cars for less than $8.

post your results, please . I like your idea.( but won't steal it )

do you happen to be/know the previous owner(s)

Unfortunately no. I live in the hamlet of Beavercreek. The car sat at Beavercreek Salvage for a couple months, and everytime I drove by I said to myself,"I really need to stop by and check that out". But, not having much money, I was afraid that I would not be able to resist the temptation of buying it.

They had it for sale with the original fender and hatch for about a month. I couldn't see anything wrong with them, but one day I drove by and they had an 83-84 wagon they were pulling the parts off of and putting on your rig. I really like the original blue color.

And then it was gone. I saw it parked at a house out on Gard Rd., and now you have it. I am glad someone got it that appreciates it. It looks like a sweet ride. That's all the voyeuristic history I know.

haha no way - this IS a small world! when you saw the car on gard rd it was parked at my parents house. ill take it back out there to paint it because i dont think people in lake oswego are allowed to spray paint 30 year old cars in their driveways :grin: ..... anyway i went by wally world on my way home and figured that 6 would cover the car so i got 12 cans - 6 primer and 6 blue. spraypaint at wal-mart is wicked cheep, i payed as much for masking tape as i did the paint! i have some 150 grit paper around somewhere which will take out some of the chips - this isnt a show car so who cares if the paint isnt perfect... no need for elevndy billion grit wet sanding or anything silly like that. ill have my Dad cut the graphics stencil on his laser and then find some bright green paint and put that on later. i might even splurge and put some clear coat over the graphics so nothing flakes off.

i think they might also have put a strut in my wagon off the newer wagon. the front right on mine is the stock 81 suspension where there is no ride height adjust but the left side has the newer kind where you can turn the two bolts and change the height. i found an 83 wagon at the tigard junk yard and intended to take a strut off of it to match my other adjustable one but it didnt want to go home with me. it was quite stuck but ill go back tomorrow morning (i guess its this morning now because its late enough) and bring more precision adjustment devices to see if i cant take it home with me.

Edited by bicycle_ben

ill have my Dad cut the graphics stencil on his laser

That is awesome. I would go overboard with graphics if I had that ability.

Apparently your parents live literally 2 minutes away from me. If you're ever out this way you're welcome to stop by. I've done a lot to restore my '81 and have done a lot of work on the Hitachi carb. if you ever want help.

Also, I have a set of those adjustable struts I'd sell if you don't get the one in Tigard. They are the Monroe version. I would let them go as a set for $5 over junkyard price.

PM me if you're interested.

i was able to apply the proper amount of force with a sledge hammer and a sway bar turned pry bar off some other car and now i have matching struts :banana:

just got off work but have to be back at 7am - back to backs are the suck, must go to bed but before i go:

first: i need warm days now so i can paint!

second: i discovered my left side E brake is sticky and drags unless manually released - ill fight with that tomorrow or wednesday

third: i got new tires! little mud/snow tires :grin:

Edited by bicycle_ben

hmm buy the good paint not the .94 cent paint besides the good paint seems to last longer, and you will definatly need 18 cans (precise calculation, lol)

and definatly a popular idea seen a car like that on youtube. considered it for mine too but just went with the back window graphic.

it's gunna look sick when its done.

If you're just doing the graphics, you'll likely end up needing 4-5 cans, depending on how heavy you want to build it up. If you want to do the whole car, I suspect you'll be in it 9-10 cans of paint and almost that much primer.

I HIGHLY recommend primering the car. Just scuff the factory paint first. If you have a DA sander, use that with some 400-600 grit sandpaper. You can also just use a red scotch-brite pad. Scuff the paint, clean with laquer thinner or denatured alcohol. Wait for the cleaner to dry. Start with the primer. Sand lighty with 600-grit or higher. Just another light scuffing. Clean again. Shoot paint.

As far as the paint itself goes, I HIGHLY recommend SEM paint products. Its a little expensive. Seems to run $9-10 a can. But it lays down almost as nicely as regular paint. If you want to do it with actual acrylic paint, go with Nason Fast Dry Acrylic. Its designed for use on equipment, so it dries fast and lays down nice and even. Runs about $10/pint. Reducer for it runs about $20/pint, but its a 4:1 ratio so it goes a LONG way. Then you can either clear coat with high-gloss clear or, if you want, a flat clear. Those seem to run about $30-40/quart and will require a hardener. The primer seems to run about the same. You'll likely need a couple of quarts each of primer and color. One quart each of reducer, clear and hardener.

hey i dont care if you guys copy me - id be proud actually!

this is where im getting my graphics stencil cut: http://www.bclaserworks.com/cutting.html

its going to be on this thin static cling plastic stuff so i shouldnt need to even tape it on :banana:

what i really need now is some warm dry, non windy days to start this painting thing. i have sand paper, 6 cans of primer and 6 cans of blue. my plan is to see how well the primer covers things and then buy more primer and blue accordingly. first ive got to brush the rust out of a few spots, heavy sand a few chips and stuff then give the whole car a light once over with some 400.

ill prime the car, sand the rough spots out and re spot prime them. light sand and then do a coat of blue. let it go for a day and then do one more coat of blue. ill let that go a couple of days and then do the graphics and a clear coat just to protect my spray paint investment a little :)

something like 8 years ago i spray painted my parents truck camo with a single coat of cheep fred meyer paint without even so much as sanding the truck. its just recently started to flake off in places. im not real worried about a 100 year show car quality paint job, if this trash paint lasts 2 years ill be happy - its un likely ill still own the car that far down the road ... who am i kidding, its still going to be running and ill still be too poor to buy a new one :)