Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Compiling database for Gen2 Brat sales evaluations

Due to the difficulty of finding hard data on sales of the Brats for my fight with the insurance company, I started keeping hard copy evidence of every sale for all the gen2 Brats that I could find. Ebay stuff is nice since it shows a final price, but craigslist and other sources always show the asking price and I never know if it really sold for that price or what price it actually sold for.

If you sell a Brat (or know somewhat who did) could you please send me an email with year, VIN#, miles, general condition, actual selling price, location (state or province is enough unless you want to add the city), and the date of sale. Add a link to ebay, craigslist or other on-line selling agency if you think it will help the database, send it to me at edrach at spamcop dot net. I would make it available to USMB members who are having a similar time convincing an insurance company of what the "real" value of their Brat is. Thanks.

If someone wants to start a database for other models, feel free, I'm limiting myself to gen2 brats only.

Perhaps this could be stickied.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i bought a '87 brat for $1500 and limped it home with a busted CV axle! 290k had been wrecked and fixed in the"driveway" and needed love in many other places.. im about to sell it and hoping for $2000.. i mite get my money back out of it but just barely..

i was driving it and some guy outta nowhere told me about a '82 brat that his friend had.. it was sitting for 4 yrs.. an 80 yr old man got it when it had 5k mi.. BONE STOCK.. lil rust, 135k, jump seats and canopy! so im the third owner and offered him $1500 for it.. i put a EJ22T motor and 5sp dual range trans in it and i dont see myself ever letting go of it!!! :grin:1217081612.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ed, what did the insurance company say when you showed them the paper work involving my brat, which was far from mint condition, and they still gave me around 3900 for it? See picture below, thats what it looked like before it was totaled.

205457644_uTm3p-M.jpg

Edited by Mr. Carb

Ed, what did the insurance company say when you showed them the paper work involving my brat, which was far from mint condition, and they still gave me around 3900 for it? See picture below, thats what it looked like before it was totaled.

205457644_uTm3p-M.jpg

The adjuster went to two dealer's (one Subaru and one Chevy) and asked "what would you put it on the lot for?" One said $3000 and the other $3900; the average plus taxes, etc came to around $3900. That's the number I used for the small claims court action on my son's '82 Brat which we won handily. I should have asked for more!

I went back to State Farm on our "pristine" '84 Brat and asked for a re-evaluation. I've got paperwork from them putting the value at between $5000 and $6000.

If anyone has a clean, rust-free, running gen2 Brat, it might be a fine investment.

Edited by edrach

• 2 months later...

I can give you three prices for mine: 83 BRAT GL Turbo

I just paid $1700 for it in non-running condition. I swooped it up from a repair shop that had it for a while and the owner got fed up and wanted out of it.

I was told that this shop's corporate office paid out the owner $3100 for it. Not real sure how they got to that price.

Also, when the owner signed the title over to the shop, he left in the same folder a printout of the eBay auction where he'd won it in Dec '08 for $2300.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i bought my 86 brat for $1,400 from the original owner who was asking $1,800. only 113k, rust free and not even a crack in the dash. still has the factory floor mats and tool kit. this thing is cherry. i kind of feel bad for taking advantage of the old guy but that goes away every time i get behind the wheel:) . i also have a 82 brat gl that i bought for a 100 bucks that has been through 3 deer and sunk in a pond. best hundred bucks i ever spent. i drive her to work every day.

• 1 month later...
Here is a web address that shows production by year for all subarus

http://www.cars101.com/subaru_archives.html

I know this is a bit off topic but I am curious. According to Wiki it is said that the body style was restyled in 81. According to this link 5553 were produced that year. Anyone know the stats of how many were of the old style?

I ask because a guy I got parts from said something about it being rare and I should not get rid of it.

• 3 weeks later...

I stole mine 6 years ago for $1200. It was cosmetically challenged, but easily rectified. I cleaned the carpets, had my buddy recover the seats and resealed the engine. Had a guy offer me $3000 for it last 4th of July when we were cruisin around the woods (FS-7020). I've fought the insurance companies before on stuff like this. You're going to have to write up a very good fact based eval. They will only change the price with included hard evidence. Your best bet will be the Evil Bay sales you've been recording. You pay and pay and pay these *sses and when it comes time to collect what's due, you get to take it up the tailpipe with no dinner or good night kiss!

I know this is a bit off topic but I am curious. According to Wiki it is said that the body style was restyled in 81. According to this link 5553 were produced that year. Anyone know the stats of how many were of the old style?

I ask because a guy I got parts from said something about it being rare and I should not get rid of it.

The body change was for the 1982 model year. The 1981's had 1800 and dual range 4sp.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I called my insurance company a while ago and asked them about full coverage. Needless to say, my brat is fully covered with the value set at 7K. That is the number I gave them and they honored it without any proof of investment or pictures.

Just letting everyone know what they might be able to do.

Andy

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I purchased a 1986 BRAT with about 214K on it. No rust at all. Bad CV joints and a small oil leak. Given the body I figured I got a decent deal on it @ $2500.00. I just have to work on fixing all these problems now so I can make it a $4000.00 car. However, I think they'll pry this thing out of my cold dead hands.

IMG_0635

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
I stole mine 6 years ago for $1200. It was cosmetically challenged, but easily rectified. I cleaned the carpets, had my buddy recover the seats and resealed the engine. Had a guy offer me $3000 for it last 4th of July when we were cruisin around the woods (FS-7020). I've fought the insurance companies before on stuff like this. You're going to have to write up a very good fact based eval. They will only change the price with included hard evidence. Your best bet will be the Evil Bay sales you've been recording. You pay and pay and pay these *sses and when it comes time to collect what's due, you get to take it up the tailpipe with no dinner or good night kiss!
Currently, I have a letter from my insurance carrier with a valuation of $6K for my '84 very clean Brat with under 120K miles on it.

As to fighting with the insurance company, that might be the case. We wound up suing the taxi driver that rear ended my son's '82 after the insurance company refused to budge on their offer of $475 for it and totalling it. After almost three years (statute of limitations was looming) we filed suit in small claims court and produced documentation that averaged $3400. Taxi driver refused arbitration (dumb) and had ZERO counter to our claim other than he didn't think it was worth much (i.e. no written documentation). Judge awarded us the entire $3400 plus expenses for filing. It cost us time and effort and was well worth it. We still have the '82 since the insurance company didn't want the hassle of disposing of it and the title is still good.:burnout:We'll be cleaning up the rust and finishing the 5 lug wheel conversion soon (I hope).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...