Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need help picking new tires... which ones...

well i'm deciding to stay with the 31" tall tires. but now have a dilema of trying to decide which ones to buy at tax return time. the cost has no effect. need an all around good trail tire. and these are the one's i've decided on. just need to narrow down a little further. which one's do you think i should get??

31x12.50 Super Swamper Boggers

interco_tsl_bogger-200.jpg

31x10.50 Super Swamper SSR

ssr_sswamper_radial-200.jpg

31x10.50 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R

WrangMTR.gif

i'm gonna be getting a tow rig for Lil' Roo when i get back from my deployment. so street handling isn't a big deal. that's the only reason i even listed bias plys. cause on the street they are too noisy. just offroad strength and traction.

the goodyears are supposed to be almost indistructible side walls

same with the bias ply tires from swamper. i've seen the ssr's slice sidewalls at lower psi. but love the quiet road drive and sweet sid lug traction.

Any bias ply, especially swampers, seem like they would be too heavy. Ask any serious 4 wheeler, they'll probably say the Goodyears would be the way to go. They handle snow better than all the rest. They also bulge a lot better than any tire swamper has ever made. I would definetely go with the Goodyears. If you go through the Tirerack you can get great pricing, plus Les Schwaab will mount them and warranty them.

there is no schwab's in arizona, washington yes, az no, already checked. but the goodyear's are very popular tires around here for the rocks. they aren't Supposed to be as good in the mud as any swamper, but for rocks they have a very sticky and soft rubber compound. i'm in Yuma right now, so it rains twice a year. and only a drizzle. but if you go to pheonix they have water on the trails.

when i go back to washington permanately in 3 1/2 years. i'll probably go back to swampers for sure, cause i have had nothing but good luck with them and the mucky mud that's up there.

side lugs are very important down here due to running low tire pressures on the rocks.

you can't buy them through Schwaab, but if you have them shipped to schwaab from the tirerack, they will mount them and warranty them. The softest tire that swamper makes is the sx, which probably weigh almost double the goodyears'. Goodyears' rock in mud too. If you look at Peterson's mud tire test, the goodyears finished ahead of everything except the boggers.

yeah i remember reading an article awhile back about those. not to mention cheaper tires, versus the bogger. i wasn't saying they suck in the mud. just a bar below. but once again i'm mainly in AZ and So Cal. so there's more desert rock crawlin than mud... and goodyears have a very soft rubber... rock glue...

I work with an older and very hardcore crawler guy, and a few months ago he got some new Goodyears that he said just came on the market. I forget what these tires were called but he'd used them on some extreme stuff over by Rimrock and seemed to think they were the best tire he'd ever had. Guess I'll have to ask him what they're called and if he's still stoked about them.

it was most likely the wrangler mt/r's they came out within the las couple years. the newest mt goodyear has. all i've read is how awesome they are. they are like glue to rocks due to the soft rubber compound and perform sweet in the mud as well. they are also supposed to be extremely resistant to rock cuts. those were what is was originally planning on switching to. till i saw how sweet the boggers looked on my friends toy back in washington. haven't seen a none wore out pair of those in a long time.