Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OT scissor jack post

I think the factory ea82 Subaru scissor jack is one of the best sheet metal tools ever made. Not only did I use it to open up my crushed fender on my Suubie, but I just straightened the rear bumper on my Jeep with it.

I clipped the slotted jack receiver on the lower edge of the bumper and used a 4 x 4 block against the tire to push the end of the bumper away from the Jeep. Now that little rolled under end is back in true, and the end cap is sitting level - that's been annoying me since I bought it!

Thanks Subaru. :banana:

I've used my scissor jack for lifting my wagon (although if I'm home I prefer my hydraulic jack).. I have a 5" thick block of wood in the smuggler's hatch to put under it since my wagon's lifted of course :lol: and have a 5" thick beam of the same stuff to put under the floor jack.

It works fine for lifting the car as long as you keep the threads lubed a little and clean, and aren't trying to use it in the mud without a base. I can see how it would be decent for some bodywork applications because the screw actuation gives you a lot of fine control over the pressure applied.

Mud... Or Sand. I run into that problem a lot out here, the jack base tends to sink right through the dirt/sand/substrate... Easy enough to keep a piece of plywood in the hatch, tho. I've amazed a number of people with the abilities of these jacks, including wiping a smug smile off a Heep owner's face when I had to use my jack to lift him up and my RX to pull him out LOL! (No hard feelings, TXA....;))

I agree, these jacks are wonderful tools.. +1 on keeping them lubed, tho. Once they rust out, it's pretty much over...

88RxTuner

Hard feelings on the Heep? Not at all. I like it for what it is, a large boxy sedan with 4 wd, it's also really easy to work on and has cheap parts. I'm not one of those guys that gets all torqued about 'Ford vs Chevy'.

It's nice in a straight line, but I can 'flick' my Loyale without feeling like I'm going to roll on my roof! (You guys would have been proud of me, a week or so back I had a picture perfect drift going uphill around a corner, wet spring snow spraying off all four...) -sigh-

Let's see how much more OT I can get before someone gripes! :popcorn:

The blue jacks are pretty nice for a scissor jack, my XT came with two of them (the P.O had 2 XT's, someone totaled one and he pulled parts off it). If you want to see a shoddy jack then look at the one that came with my 1980 MBZ. There are circular holes in the body for this jack. If you use it on anything but a perfectly level surface the car crushes your foot.

Jack.jpg