Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OT scissor jack post

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Txakura

Txakura

Not the Stig

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  • Colfax, WA

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:07 PM

I think the factory ea82 Subaru scissor jack is one of the best sheet metal tools ever made. Not only did I use it to open up my crushed fender on my Suubie, but I just straightened the rear bumper on my Jeep with it.

I clipped the slotted jack receiver on the lower edge of the bumper and used a 4 x 4 block against the tire to push the end of the bumper away from the Jeep. Now that little rolled under end is back in true, and the end cap is sitting level - that's been annoying me since I bought it!

Thanks Subaru. :banana:

#2 SoobieDoo

SoobieDoo

GL's...the luxury wheeler

• Members
  • 838 posts
  • ZigZag

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:11 AM

I want one...never even seen a stock jack, mine didn't come with.

#3 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,436 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:19 AM

so the jack sucks for lifting the car but its great for bodywork.OK...

#4 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:25 AM

also works good to lift front of narrow front tractors

I also have an "accordian" pantograph jack and trans. jack that uses the same basic principle

#5 Txakura

Txakura

Not the Stig

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  • Colfax, WA

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:41 AM

so the jack sucks for lifting the car but its great for bodywork.OK...

Naaw mine is dual purpose, lifts my car too.

#6 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,139 posts
  • WA

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:46 AM

All talk......no pics :-\

Posted Image

#7 Txakura

Txakura

Not the Stig

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  • Colfax, WA

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:10 AM

:lol:

#8 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:14 AM

I've used my scissor jack for lifting my wagon (although if I'm home I prefer my hydraulic jack).. I have a 5" thick block of wood in the smuggler's hatch to put under it since my wagon's lifted of course :lol: and have a 5" thick beam of the same stuff to put under the floor jack.
It works fine for lifting the car as long as you keep the threads lubed a little and clean, and aren't trying to use it in the mud without a base. I can see how it would be decent for some bodywork applications because the screw actuation gives you a lot of fine control over the pressure applied.

#9 88RxTuner

88RxTuner

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 160 posts
  • Back in my DESERT!! SoCal

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:11 AM

Mud... Or Sand. I run into that problem a lot out here, the jack base tends to sink right through the dirt/sand/substrate... Easy enough to keep a piece of plywood in the hatch, tho. I've amazed a number of people with the abilities of these jacks, including wiping a smug smile off a Heep owner's face when I had to use my jack to lift him up and my RX to pull him out LOL! (No hard feelings, TXA....;))
I agree, these jacks are wonderful tools.. +1 on keeping them lubed, tho. Once they rust out, it's pretty much over...

88RxTuner

#10 Txakura

Txakura

Not the Stig

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  • Colfax, WA

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:22 AM

Hard feelings on the Heep? Not at all. I like it for what it is, a large boxy sedan with 4 wd, it's also really easy to work on and has cheap parts. I'm not one of those guys that gets all torqued about 'Ford vs Chevy'.

It's nice in a straight line, but I can 'flick' my Loyale without feeling like I'm going to roll on my roof! (You guys would have been proud of me, a week or so back I had a picture perfect drift going uphill around a corner, wet spring snow spraying off all four...) -sigh-

Let's see how much more OT I can get before someone gripes! :popcorn:

#11 derburger

derburger

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Central IL

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:18 AM

The blue jacks are pretty nice for a scissor jack, my XT came with two of them (the P.O had 2 XT's, someone totaled one and he pulled parts off it). If you want to see a shoddy jack then look at the one that came with my 1980 MBZ. There are circular holes in the body for this jack. If you use it on anything but a perfectly level surface the car crushes your foot.

Posted Image

#12 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:44 AM

someone said scissors jack :lol:

that's what A2 WV have, goes from = to < to -
what a fine piece of german engineering :mad:

the lug wrench is quite useful as a cheater pipe for wratchet and oil drain plug tool

#13 ivantruckman

ivantruckman

4 inch lift

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • caro, MI.

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:51 PM

someone said scissors jack :lol:

that's what A2 WV have, goes from = to < to -
what a fine piece of german engineering :mad:

the lug wrench is quite useful as a cheater pipe for wratchet and oil drain plug tool

Oh ya 17 MM , duh never thought of that

#14 Flowmastered87GL

Flowmastered87GL

WCSS Drunk

• Members
  • 6,132 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:35 PM

they are good tools, but I really dont trust em except for emergency reasons to actually jack up the car. The one that came with my GL stripped out and I think I had Ed grab me one from a nice low mileage wrecked GL.

#15 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,436 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:54 PM

evidently you all must live on flat ground.If i use my sissor jack for lifting the car up it bends because I live on a hill.

#16 ferox

ferox

King of the Echo People

• Members
  • 853 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:58 PM

Last time I used mine was to un-jam a table and saddle on a benchtop CNC mill:lol: Somebody jammed the Gibbs on it, I said,"I have the perfect tool in my car." It was like it was made for it. 5 seconds-done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users