Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lots of ice and snow today in Denver - now my abs light is on

I was spinning out trying to reach my garage so i pulled a little "ebrake". I eventually made it but now my ABS light is on. It must not have liked the poor man's locker trick.

Can I clear this by pulling a fuse or yankin the neg battery terminal?

I saw dozens of of wrecks today! I even did a 360 on the freeway when the 4runner I was following went sideways and blocked my lane. Nasty stuff. My old tires didn't help any.

Yep, try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes (hit the flashers switch and step on the brake pedal to drain all energy from the system)

If that doesn't work, when you can, take it to a DIY carwash and wash around the inner wheels - may have snow, ice, dirt, or other debris interferring with one of the wheel sensors.

If that doesn't work, you may need to check for sensor, tonering, or wiring damage.

Lastly, the ABS will often come on when the battery voltage is low and the alternator is failing. Is the battery icon in the instrutment display also lit?

yeah, it'll probably go away. lots of information on here about pulling codes and clearing them. the harness is just above the gas pedal behind the dash, easily accessible. just look up info on here for how to read and clear codes. when i first started with ABS i searched here and found all i needed to know.

i'd personally want to know which code it's throwing, it might point to a warn sensor and the first one to need replacing in the future.

bad tires are dangerous in the snow normally and even worse with ABS. i've driven cars that could not physically stop in snow because of bad tires and ABS. it is a scarry predicament to be in when you're sliding down hill towards a stopped car and it's physically impossible for you to stop due to the grade of the road. horrible mix in bad weather.

your bad tires were probably flipping out the ABS more than the e-brake.

Funny you would mention that. I'm a pilot and there were 300 cancelled flights today at DIA. We made in in ok from Cleveland. We were supposed to go to Gunnison next but I got to come home early. Thank God. I would'nt want to do that drive at night. Thanks for all the tips guys.