Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Axle question.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 x_25

x_25

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:59 AM

Ok, I just got my new (rebuilt) axle from MWE Axle's. Quick service and got what I needed. Problem is, some flanges on it are bent. I want to know if these ride against the seals or if they just keep crud out.

Here is what I am talking about.

http://www.ultimates...=1&d=1238252773

Also, are there any seals that need to be replaced when I do this?

And because of salt rust I do not want to pop the ball joint because I am afraid I will break the bolt. Can I pop it out of the control arm with a puller? If so how does this compare to doing it by disconnection the strut?

Thanks,
x_25

Attached Files

#2 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,403 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:05 AM

i was doing it by seperating the ball joint from the control arm until recently. now i think marking the top strut bolt and then disconnecting the strut is easier. i used a big cold chisel to mark the edge of the bolt and the edge of the strut bracket right where they are about 1/4 inch apart. i'll add a pic if it stops raining.

i don't know about the axle, but i've installed used without ever looking at them, no problem.

#3 EVOthis

EVOthis

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,392 posts
  • Kennett Square PA

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:44 AM

I have found there are two pretty easy ways to replace these axles...1 being drop the control arm from the body 2 19mm and from the mount 1 17mm...or undo the castle nut from the ball joint (19mm)and undo 1 of the 14mm's from the sway bar and knock the control arm loose w/ a hammer...personally i like this way...as for the those little bends... personally I wouldnt really worry about it...You could try and knock them back a little with a hammer or something...I have never replaced one of these axles by disconnecting the strut...

#4 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,523 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:53 AM

Undoing the strut bolts is the easiest way by far for EJ cars.

Those bends in the dust shield are fine, just bend them back a hair so they don't scrape or drag.

#5 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 5,006 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:42 PM

Yah my MWE was like that too, I just bent them back. Yes I have had the easiest results undoing the strut to bearing housing bolts for axles.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 mdjdc

mdjdc

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,307 posts
  • Richmond

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:44 PM

I don't see what the big deal is with taking the ball joint out of the control arm and pulling it down. If you do the strut, you have to get the car realigned. If you do the ball joint you don't. Personally, I don't want to have the car realigned if I don't have too.

#7 davebugs

davebugs

I don't "friend"

• Members
  • 3,112 posts
  • Pittsburgh suburbs (NE)

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:01 PM

I keep cheap white spray paint to mark strut and bolt locations if I need to undo the strut bolts.

I usually seperate it at the balljoint. As I'm in the rustbelt if I ruin the BJ no biggie - chances are the boot was ripped or wimpy anyways.

#8 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,523 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:19 PM

I don't see what the big deal is with taking the ball joint out of the control arm and pulling it down. If you do the strut, you have to get the car realigned. If you do the ball joint you don't. Personally, I don't want to have the car realigned if I don't have too.

Pinch and un-pinch that casting a few times and eventually it can get brittle and snap. I had that happen once, and had to then replace the whole knuckle.

After I saw that happen, to my own car(so I know it wasn't the result of abuse), I vowed never to remove a balljoint from a knuckle unless I HAD to, either for replacement or for pressing a bearing. Not just for axles.

Besides, it is WAY easier than trying to wrestle that rusty, pinched, joint out of the knuckle. When you unbolt the strut mount, it all just pivots out and back toghether effortlessly.

Besides, the Camber adjustment on this cars is not that big of an issue. The Toe is unchanged. As long as you set the bolts back to even CLOSE to their original marks, all will be fine. I ussually just set both sides to the most negative camber possible, best for handling.

#9 x_25

x_25

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:25 PM

The big thing is there is a long rusty bolt in a hard to reach place that needs to be taken out to do it. If it breaks I will be there all day with the drill getting it out.

As far as alignment, that side happens to be out a bit anyway (inside of the tire is worn more than the outside) so I need to get the alignment done anyway.

#10 mdjdc

mdjdc

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,307 posts
  • Richmond

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

I said to take it out of the control arm NOT the knuckle. Take the castle nut off and then hit the control arm with a BFH and you are done. It works like a charm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users