Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Ouback mods

Yim

I've got this 96 Legacy Outback that I want to do a couple of things with, but I first need some info and advice.

Firstly, I want to install a limited slip differential for the rear wheels, which shouldn't be too hard if I there's one that's made with the same final drive as mine, otherwise I'm looking at a full tranny swap.

Secondly, I want to turbocharge the EJ22 in my car, preferably without having to downgrade the ECM to an OBDI. I know for this I will at least need to build up the engine, which is no big deal since I plan on doing a full rebuild sometime next year, and I'll also need a turbocharger, an exhaust system, and a new air intake. I would think the computer would be able to deliver the correct amount of fuel because of the MAF and MAP sensors, but if I'm wrong, let me know.

If you want a full trans swap, I take it you've got an auto......

In any case, you've got yourselve a 4.44 final drive, so you'll want to find a 4.44 final LSD to go along with that. You can use the LSD from a third gen (00-04) Legacy GT with an auto and it will bolt up fine. You'll have to use axles from something else; I remember reading somewhere that WRX wagon axles will work with the diff and will fit your Outback (I could be wrong). Now, this LSD is Viscous, which means it uses hydraulic type fluid that stops slipping. Over time, the fluid simply stops working, basically turning the LSD into an open diff. So if you go OEM LSD, get a low mile one. You could always buy a clutch type LSD for a WRX/STi and moddify the axles to make it work......... (money). You might want to ask yourself if it's worth it. A 5sp swap won't be much different.

As for the turbo......... turboing an NA EJ22 is honestly not really worth it; sorry. There is a company out there that makes turbo kits for NA subarus: AVO. But, they work with the Phase 2 EJ25 found in the BE/BH and 2.5rs; plus they only recomend 6 psi. Now, there are many people out there (myself included) that say the EJ22 found in your car should not be turboed, and anything about 5 psi of boost on stock internals will cause a big boom. You did say that you wanted to build the block, but why when you could swap in a EJ20 or EJ25 from a WRX/STi or for cheaper, an EJ22T from a first gen Legacy SS. You could build a franken motor with your block and EJ22 heads, but the amount of work to go into that would offset the cost of swapping in an EJ22t (which has been done and is documented). You will have to go to OBD1 for that and a ECU swap would be a must for any turbo application to run 'right'.

Keep looking man, and sorry if I'm bursting your bubble; I'm a downer sometimes. Try anything you feel like, turbocharging an NA EJ22 isn't imposible...........

Edited by Battlewagon

That's good to know, but can anyone confirm that the 4.44 is the FD for the 96 model years? If it is, what donor cars would have an LSD with that final drive?

I believe it is the Automatics that are 4.44

IIRC you're manual trans outback with 2.2 should be a 4.11 final drive.

Look for a VLSD from a 2003+ manual trans outback.

I believe it is the Automatics that are 4.44

IIRC you're manual trans outback with 2.2 should be a 4.11 final drive.

Look for a VLSD from a 2003+ manual trans outback.

Yep, looked it up, it's the 4.11 FD. I think I'll make a thread over in the classifieds for that diff.