Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Spark Plugs

Twitch de la Brat

OK. This applies to all generations of Subarus, so I figured the shop talk forum

would work the best, after all, this is definitely a topic that would come up in a

subaru garage or two.

I would like to know, kind of a poll situation,

what spark plugs people like to use in their cars.

Plus, I wouldn't mind if this could be linked to the USRM as a guide for those

looking to replace their spark plugs.

I personally like the bosch platinum +2's. plat2153.jpg

My 85' BRAT and my 90' Legacy run beautifully with them.

They're not too expensive and they seem to have a good durability.

Twitch

I've read a lot on this forum about plugs (and wires). The EJ motors are apparently pretty sensitive to which brand of plugs are used and the consensus seems to be dealer wires and NGK plugs.

Personally, I've always used whatever was cheapest at the auto store in every car I've had including my '96 OBW. After I read all the info here about people have misfire codes, I was tempted to change, but I figured by then they were already 40k miles old, so I'd run them until the car started stumbling off the line like I always do.

The plugs that were in the car when I bought it (at 120k) started causing stumble at starts and when I pulled them out they had no electrode left and a gap of like .2 but I never got any codes so I figure my ecu isn't too picky.

I've used a lot of Bosch being a VW guy. But I've had problems with them in lots of cars - including Volvo's. It seems the more exotic (multiple tips, rare metals) the more issues on a variety of cars.

I use the NGK Vgroove's with the green printing on all the Suby's that I do. Around 2 bucks each even at the big chain stores.

I have seen and removed well used Autolite plugs out of 2.2's and you certainly can't get any cheaper than them.

I only use Champions in lawn mowers. I used to be able to tell on an air cooled VW if it had ever had Champions in it. I think their thread pitch was a little off for that application.

I've even started putting NGK's in VW 2.0's with great success.

NGK is OEM for a lot of the GM Saturns.

I have used some Nippon/Denso's but not enough to have an opinion.

Price, performance, and not being finicky NGK's are shaping up to be my favorite plug. And the price isn't bad at all. Even the "laser platinums" the GF's 2006 Impreza takes really aren't that bad cost wise - IIR under 8 bucks. I think their interval had to do with no anti-seize from the factory more than wear. They looked fine when removed.

BTW - this has all the potential of becoming like an oil brand thread. It'll be interesteing to see where it goes. My observations above were from real world experience, we'll have to see who's experience's differ and what the scientists have to say.

Edited by davebugs

magnecor plug wires are great, been running them for about a year and transfered them to different cars twice now. pretty pricey but they're supposed to last much longer than anything else. i got them after putting brand new bosch wires on a 97 EJ22 and listening to it choke on it's own tears.

i got some ngk iridiums for my hatch when i finished the spfi. it had a nasty misfire and when i pulled them i found the center electrode of one had shattered. i gapped them carefully and i always use a wire-style gapper not the tapered gauge style so i'm inclined to believe it was a defect. probably not common but i just buy plain ngk's for my subarus now - no noticeable difference anyways.

NGK copper in my subaru

im trying NGK copper in my jeep stroker but they have a very short life. about a year before the electrode is worn out. tried a colder heat range and same result. still runs better than any autolite or champions.

what do you think guys? this is about 8000 miles worth of wear. -1 heat range from stock

7078850-22a.jpg

Edited by erik litchy
add pic