Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My new project

Universeman

I am a Subaru neophyte, I was looking for cheap transportation and wasent even looking for anything in particular when I stumbled accross this little beauty.

1003304.jpg

For $1800, I'm pretty sure I got a good deal :banana: Its an 82 with a manual, cyclops light, fun roofs (gotta love the early 80s) it has no frame rust whatsoever and only about 30k on a rebuilt engine according to the privious owner (I'm the 3rd btw)

My previous ride was a way too expensive 06 Jeep liberty

yep Thats me!

Anyway I got alot of help modding my Libby from the LOST KJ forum so I'm all worked up now ready to get back into off roading again and modding my Brat with your help :) I can't wait to see what shes capable of!

Nice lookin Brat. That's not a bad price at all. What kind of mods are you lookin to do? I just made and installed a 3 inch lift on mine, a Weber and doubled my power and imporved my mpg's, have 29 in tires mounted on Isuzu 6 lug rims, have an LSD ready to go in, have rear discs to go on, and going to do a 5spd swap and maybe do the EJ swap if I can find one cheap enough. If I get the 5 spd then I'll install an LSD in there too. What all do you want to do to yours?

I want to keep it simple for now, I'm not ready to buy rims and tires yet but I would like some recomendations on what tire sizes that don't require triming the wheel wells. For now I'll probably just do a 2" spacer lift in the fron't and crank up the torsion bars a little in the back(its way high in the back to begin with), I actually gained alot of experience tinkering with IFS with my jeep in this department. Whats the word on lifting and CV angles what are the limits?Down the road I would like to transplant in a turbo motor and more lift and big tires(ie 31s). Whats the word on gear ratios for the axels in these things, are lower ratios avalable? What about some type of locker or is it just limited slip? I do like that these things look like miniture monster trucks with only 31s lol

I want to keep it simple for now, I'm not ready to buy rims and tires yet but I would like some recomendations on what tire sizes that don't require triming the wheel wells. For now I'll probably just do a 2" spacer lift in the fron't and crank up the torsion bars a little in the back(its way high in the back to begin with), I actually gained alot of experience tinkering with IFS with my jeep in this department. Whats the word on lifting and CV angles what are the limits?Down the road I would like to transplant in a turbo motor and more lift and big tires(ie 31s). Whats the word on gear ratios for the axels in these things, are lower ratios avalable? What about some type of locker or is it just limited slip? I do like that these things look like miniture monster trucks with only 31s lol

3.9 ratio on the diffs, no gears avalible , no locker , just the LSD from a 3.7 converted to 3.9 I wouldnt go over 1" over stock on those stock axles, especally with bigger tires ,good luck and keep us posted Scott

Thanks for the welcome guys, so where should I start with the front lift? should I just crank up my struts, the manual says not to crank them up too far (I've never seen an owners manual that shows you how to adjust your suspension and your valves lol) The manual is not very clear to someone who has no idea what their doing any one have a link to a guide with pictures? BTW Im currently stationed at Holloman AFB in NM.

I believe there are a few 4.11 ratio cars still out there but good luck finding one. You can crank up the front struts as well as the back with the nuts at the bottom of the coils there is one on each side of the spring. The rear is on top in the middle at the front of the torsion bar. I got about one and a half inches of lift in the front and about two inches in the back buy doing them.

Some people weld the rear diff but there are no lockers that I know of but the LSD has always done a great job for me.

Edited by subystomper

I believe there are a few 4.11 ratio cars still out there but good luck finding one. You can crank up the front struts as well as the back with the nuts at the bottom of the coils there is one on each side of the spring. The rear is on top in the middle at the front of the torsion bar. I got about one and a half inches of lift in the front and about two inches in the back buy doing them.

Some people weld the rear diff but there are no lockers that I know of but the LSD has always done a great job for me.

Whoa there....you cant put a 4.11 rear diff in a car that has a 3.9 tranny.

You would need a divorced transfer case to do that.

You can take a 3.7 diff and put the unit in a 3.9 case, theres a write up for it in the USRM.

And if you crank the suspension all the way up, you will be putting alot of stress on the (front) axles.

Do a mild lift so you can get some bigger tires, install a Weber and have fun.

Ok that was a little too easy especially considering how many hours I spent monkeying around with that jeep liberty to get the same result. Just two little nuts built right into the strut! I cranked them up pretty much as far as they would go, the lower arm bolt is sitting at about 11 1/4" and the camber is a little off so I'll have to get an alignment.

Edited by Universeman

Jacking up the struts just isn't all that practical. As mentioned before, it isn't nice to your axles and, as you've found out, it makes the already bad camber much worse. Something you can't fix with stock adjustments. Personally, I'd say drop it back down and make the lift kit a first priority. It's worth doing right.

(Or you could save such a nice Brat the fate of a wheeler and enjoy it stock. :-p)

Don't worry I'm planning on keeping any mods to the bear minimum and I don't intend bashing around off road or anything. My question is according to the manual I’m within the height limits in fact it says I could go even higher. So I guess I’m a bit confused about what I can safely get away with with our doing an actual lift.