Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing Steering Rack, Have Power Steering Question

2K OBW. I'm replacing the steering rack with a used unit. Removal was pretty straight forward. One question regarding fluids though; I have a quart of straight up Power Steering Fluid (not ATF). Is this okay to use? Not sure what they used in the replacement rack and not sure what was used in my original rack (never had to refill it). I guess my other concern is if I use the PSF and there's residual ATF in the new rack if that's a bad thing.

I always thought PSF was ATF but with conditioners added (or maybe I have that backwards...

There are conditioners in the ATF...It doesn't really matter....Subaru's PS racks are compatible with either fluid ( I know Subaru recommends ATF though)....or at least all the ones ive ever seen....I believe the system takes about .75 qt...so 1 quart should be enough to properly bleed the system and top her off....

Edited by EVOthis

check your manual, Subaru's use ATF i think for power steering fluid. I would assume that is what was in both of your systems. The old rack probably had that. Drain as much fluid out before install and refill with the proper fluid listed in your owners manual.

There are conditioners in the ATF...It doesn't really matter....Subaru's PS racks are compatible with either fluid

Yeah, either fluid will *work*, but using regular PS fluid will cause massive leaks in the system.

Conventional PS fluid is actually more like Brake fluid or Jack oil than ATF. It is very drying to seals and conventional rubber(ever get brake fluid on your hands? It makes em feel all scratchy and dry, even though they are covered in fluid.....weird)

Anyhow, I would HIGHLY RECOMEND NOT using regular clear PS fluid.

Use the fluid that is specified.......Best quality Dex/Merc ATF you can afford.

Yeah, either fluid will *work*, but using regular PS fluid will cause massive leaks in the system.

Conventional PS fluid is actually more like Brake fluid or Jack oil than ATF. It is very drying to seals and conventional rubber(ever get brake fluid on your hands? It makes em feel all scratchy and dry, even though they are covered in fluid.....weird)

Anyhow, I would HIGHLY RECOMEND NOT using regular clear PS fluid.

Use the fluid that is specified.......Best quality Dex/Merc ATF you can afford.

Im just saying ive seen modern Subarus with the Entire system filled with PS fluid...and not have any problems

Im just saying ive seen modern Subarus with the Entire system filled with PS fluid...and not have any problems

give them a year or 2.

they WILL leak, badly.

Only time I ever have to rebuild PS pumps for Legacies/Imps/Forresters is when they have been filled with the clear stuff.

Try this experiment.

poor out a small pool of ATF onto a paper plate. Then poor another puddle of the clear PS fluid into the first pool. Watch how the PS fluid displaces and *floats* on top of the ATF.

They really don't mix well.

And I mean really, why not use the fluid they spec? It would be like "well, they say to use oil in the engine, but I am going to go ahead and use gear lube, cause it will work"

C'mon people, use the correct fluid, OK?

you probably shouldn't have adjusted the tierod end.

i did the same job but my car was on jack stands and the wheels were of wheni did it. i tried to find the center position of the rack and then attach the steering wheel. i missed it by about 120*.

the wheels and the rack can't be off center, unless the alignment is off. the steering wheel can be off center. when i did it the second time, i still missed it by ~5*. 3rd time is the charm. mine also drives straight.

you probably shouldn't have adjusted the tierod end.

i did the same job but my car was on jack stands and the wheels were of wheni did it. i tried to find the center position of the rack and then attach the steering wheel. i missed it by about 120*.

the wheels and the rack can't be off center, unless the alignment is off. the steering wheel can be off center. when i did it the second time, i still missed it by ~5*. 3rd time is the charm. mine also drives straight.

Same OP, but were you aiming for this thread?

http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=98019

Dave