Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all, this is my first post here. I bought a 2003 Forester last July. It just turned 6,000 miles and I've noticed a rather loud engine ping. I've tried switching gas brands as well as octane (one tankful of 89 instead of 87) and the ping continues. I've also noticed a strong odor of coolant while sitting at a light and after shutdown. There is no coolant on the ground and the level hasn't gone down much, but I'm wondering if either one or both of these are something to be concerned with or maybe there are somehow connected. Anyone else had these problems? I'm starting to think I should've fixed up my 84 GL wagon instead:rolleyes:

That didn't happen to my 03 For. Get it back to the dealership and have em check it out immed. Engine ping only happened to me when I used Costco or other questionable gas.. and only when I let it rev higher... I tend to stick with Chevron, Shell and Esso Regular fuel..

If it makes you feel any better, all the bugs in my 03 seemed to have worked out before 36k... It was to the dealership every 8-10,000 miles.. Just remember.. it is a new model redesign.. there will be some bugs to work out.. I just accepted that.. I haven't been back to the shop except for oil changes since 36k (up to 45k now)

The coolant smell... I dunno.. didn't smell that...

Since it appears that the 2.5L engine is much less robust than other Subaru engines, we might be a bit paranoid. I too had a problem with my 2003 last week, when the temp was -32deg C. I started the car then went into the house to wait until it warmed up. When I came back out the temp was over the halfway mark and I could smell what I thought was anti-freeze (coolant?). After I drove it for about 5 minutes the temp gauge dimped down a little to where it usually sits. It hasn't happened again since, but we have not had a day as cold as that one again. It's going to the dealer next week for a checkup. I only have 5,000k on it and also bought it last July.