Ultimate Subaru Message Board

! replaced '78 BRAT EA71 oilpan gasket with engine in frame done!

I am fairly familiar with pulling engines, have done 5+ different cars in various ways

x-mem is 4 bolts

plan of attack is set on 4 jackstands, remove engine mount nuts from x-mem, remove 4 x-mem bolts and A-bar, then remove 12? oilpan bolts

I have actually tired this on a gen 1 brat, no less. Unless you have the hands of a tiny Japanese geisha or the patience of, I don't know, something/one who is really patient, you will be very angry in no time.

There isn't any way to do it without lifting/ removing the engine. I got it done, but I was working with a friend and it took the better part of an all-nighter and some of the next day. If you can pull the engine or drop the engine crossmember, do it. It will save you time, blood, frustration and a host of four-letter words.

Get a tube of fuji bond from Subaru. They may call it 3 bond at your local dealer. Its probably 25 bucks but good stuff. Ditch the cork gasket and use that. All the new Subaru's do from the factory and they don't leak at the pan gasket.

thanks for the tip :rolleyes: it wouldn't be a true restoration WITHOUT the gasket :-\

perhaps a ea82t I am rebuilding will get the goo

last pan gasket I did on the ea81 brat engine which is in the '86 gl-10 turbowagon has not leaked in over 5 years!!

Get a tube of fuji bond from Subaru.

Shawn has a real good point here. All of the oil pan re-seals we do get this stuff... and we're a dealer. Cant believe I didnt suggest this. :rolleyes:

The part # is 004403007 if you are interested... and the cost for a tube is 27.20 to be exact. It is REALLY good stuff- you wont be dissapointed. :banana:

The cork gasket IS cheaper (by far) .... AND more "original restoration" ... but the advantage of the tube sealer is that you dont have to snake the oil pan all the way out.

Just undo the bolts, break up the old pan gasket (clean!) ... squirt the goo on the pan and send the bolts home. :grin:

probably would have been faster to remove engine, but not as fun :grin:

yes, it is possible to replace oil pan gasket without removing or raising the engine :)

also good to have other projects that involve a hammer while doing this job, and take breaks

drain oil

raise front and set on jackstands

remove front tires, 4 nuts, etc holding on x-mem and A-bar, engine mount nuts and one engine mount assy., 19 bolts

use 1/4" drive u-joint, short 10mm socket, extensions and ratchet for the rear bolts

use small rubber hammer, mine came from $1 tree, to break seal and remove pan

pilot point bolts, for the rear, make installation easier

ea71 pan mount flange is definately larger than ea82

yes, I know TTIWWOP, WILL be posted later when I've nothing else better to do

the cork gasket is like 3.02 at rockauto

compared to the tube. I used cork and some brush on gasket sealer

I couldn't agree more but sometimes technology can go into a restoration without compromising it. Also, that rockauto gasket isnt a genuine subaru part and the tube of fuji bond is so where do you draw the line?

Also...would a restoration leak oil? As "notorious" as these Subaru engines are for leaking oil with proper technique and materials they don't have to. I am not saying Subiemech didnt use the propers here just my opinion on how I rationalize things when I repair my turbo brat and other older vehicles that might be considered by some to be collector cars or future collector cars.