Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No power to coils

I had the engine out of my 97 2.5 outback to replace clutch, water pump, oil pump, head gaskets, and set valve clearance. Now it's back in and I've got no spark. I did the the coil test for voltage at the center contact of coil plug with key on, engine not running, and I get nothing. What's up? Also, after cranking the engine over awhile and then turning the key off, both fans come on and stay on until I disconnect the battery.

I had the engine out of my 97 2.5 outback to replace clutch, water pump, oil pump, head gaskets, and set valve clearance. Now it's back in and I've got no spark. I did the the coil test for voltage at the center contact of coil plug with key on, engine not running, and I get nothing. What's up? Also, after cranking the engine over awhile and then turning the key off, both fans come on and stay on until I disconnect the battery.

You have poor contact on one of the 3 big main engine harness connectors.

Fans coming on with key off (and possibly CEL lit even with key off) is characteristic symptom of poor contacts at those plugs. (one of the bigger grey ones if IIRC)

BTW this should be in the *new generation* forum, and might get moved there