Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my front U joint at the trans output has a large amount of play that is causing a bad vibration at highway speeds. any tips and tricks for replacing this U joint? I have never done one before nor really even heard of one wearing out on a subaru.

I dont believe you can replace the u joint....they are a non-serviceable item in subarus (no grease fittings or anything so they wear out)..Time to get another driveshaft....at least this is the way it is for the later models say 95-up...Id bet its the same for the early legacies also...

for most folks just get a used shaft. they're so cheap and easy to find you're better off getting two than doing any other option.

CHANGE IT NOW. problems at the front of the shaft can break and end up shattering the rear housing of your transmission. then you're in for a really fun job. this can and has happened (even to at least one board member here), i even saw the car today!

they are replaceable but that's not normally the best option for most folks. more info on that here if you're interested. some folks, including myself, have done it and replaced them with replaceable/regreaseable joints.

• 3 weeks later...
my front U joint at the trans output has a large amount of play that is causing a bad vibration at highway speeds. any tips and tricks for replacing this U joint? I have never done one before nor really even heard of one wearing out on a subaru.

They wear out I am on my fourth one. Always the front U- joint that went bad in mine. I have replaced with one used and two new. But this Subaru has 400,100 miles on it and is used for stop and go Postal del. for the last 13 years.

Edited by tcspeer

Driveshafts can be rebuilt by a shop that specializes in this. We send them out at the dealer all the time. I think ours go out to Greeley but I dont know for sure. I can PM you back tomorrow if you want to know where. I think its around 250 for one and they redo the u joints and the carrier bearing. Heres another place in Denver:+

http://www.coloradodriveshaft.com/