Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Camshaft Sprocket bolt tork/timing belt tension

Hey all

First of all let me start by stating that I have just spent an hour

and a half searching the search concerning this problem and wasn't able to find an answer:cornfuzz:

I am in the process of replacing my timing belts (first time, lots of

fun...). I have come to the part where you put 18lbs of tork on one of the camshaft sprocket bolts counter clock wise after which

you tighten the tensioner (per Haynes).

Here is the problem. I had to replace the cam seals, so I had to remove the sprockets. When I reinstalled the cam sprockets,

Haynes said to tork the sprocket bolts to 80-97 in-lbs (7-8lbs),

and Chiltons said to tork to 6-7lbs.

Well when I go to do the CCW 18lb tork on the cam sprocket bolt

it loosens up the bolt:banghead: What am I doing wrong?

Big thanks in advance for any comments/direction

Cheers,

Chris

You don't apply torque to the sprocket bolts, you apply it to the sprocket itself. There's a tool to do this, but hard to locate one. You can make one yourself though. Lot of owners here have done this, some one here has to have a pic of one, I don't.

You need a flat piece of metal lond enough to go across the sprocket, drill through the metal, and install some 1/4" bolts, that will line up with the holes in the sprocket. Then drill the piece of metel in the center, and install a larger bolt/nut. Helps to have the metal thick enough to be able to thread this hole. Use loc-tite on this bolt.

Now, you place tool on cam-sprocket, use torque wrench to apply tension to T-belts, tighten the tensioners. Torque is applied in counter-clockwise direction, so you need a reversable torque wrench.

here is what i do. i will thread in the 3 bolts and snug them, then i will install the belts.

with the belts on, i will turn the bolts about 1/4 after snug, using a 1/4 drive ratchet.

once that is done, then i will adjust the belt tension. the easiest way to do the belt tension without special tools is to manually grab the sprocket and turn it so the DRIVEN side of the belt is tight(the side opposite of the tensioner. that, or use a flat screwdriver in one of the holes on the cam sprocket, and tap it with a hammer to draw the driven side of the belt tight.

once the driven side of the belt is tight, that is when you let the tensioner take the slack from the other side of the belt