Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Leaking carb, need help ID'ing spot (pics incl'd)

EA81 Hitachi carb

I had trouble starting it this morning, so when I took a look at the backside of the carb I noticed gas slowly leaking out of the following area... driver's side in the throttle body... seems to be a recessed port of some kind. My FSM doesn't indicate what it is... and its definitely leaking out of this "hole", not the gasket seam...

First pic is a large area shot, second pic is area in question...

What is it?

Edited by '84 Flat-Four
title change to include pics included

Thanks GD!

I figured that would be the answer... I know there's a HiCrappy in the JY which is affordable, but what I want is a Weber 32/36... much more moolah!

In the meantime, what are the consequences if I let it go until next month/payday... it started up fine this morning, 1st try, & drove rather well. It's only leaking when it's cranking and not firing right up... but while driving/idling it doesn't.

As long as it's driveable it should be fine. Once the engine is running there is a vacuum in the intake manifold and the carb that keeps fuel from leaking out through the shaft. It's never going to cause you much of a problem unless it gets worn to the point where the engine won't idle right.

Incidentally the throttle-base (the part with the shafts and the butterfly's in it that's worn on your carb) is seperate from the whole carb and is actually the source of the statement "my carb is worn out". It's the only thing on them that really can wear out anyway. You can find a good throttle base at the junk yard or find one and have it rebushed by a good automotive machine shop. Should be less than $100. You would also want to buy a rebuild kit and go through the carb as well - you'll need the gasket between the carb and the throttle base anyway.

GD