Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just moved to Europe, Germany to be percise. We have a 01 US spec OBW w/ 60k that we brought over with us and will be driving on the Autobahn a fair amount. Wondering if any one can give me some advice on oil, filters, lubes and maintance for a car that will see 90mph and 4000 rpm's for extended periods of time. Have taken a few trips and so far the car seems to do well. Due for an oil change soon so thought it was a good time to start to think about this. Thanks in advance for you help.

Living in Denmark, and driving in Germany fairly often, I can offer this advice having spent hours on end at 4500rpm and 90mph: Mobil1 5W-50. This oil will not burn off the cylinder walls. I change oil and filter every 10,000km, ca. 6200miles. My engine has over 186k miles on it, and uses about a litre between changes. Most of it seems to go when I start revving it past 5000rpm, otherwise there is no oil loss.

Stick with Sube oil filters, they are not the last word in filtration and flow, but they are not bad at all and swapping every 6k is well within their capacity.

If you change oil yourself, "prime" the new filter before you screw on it on, ie. fill it with fresh oil.

At your mileage I would replace the PCV valve, and make sure all the related hoses are not clogged. This has a profound effect on oil longevity.

To begin with, keep an eye on your oil level, say every 600 miles, just to get picture of how the engine's doing.

Oh, and be aware that oil can hide in many places in these boxer engines, so take a few readings before adding more - prevents overfilling.

Other than that? Enjoy the possibility of letting your car stretch it's legs...LEGALLY!

Nothing like a 130mph fix every now and then....which brings me to advice on simple upgrades for your brakes. Let me know if you want to hear more :D

I think this is relevant:

how do you "prime" a filter with an anti-drainback valve and a by-pass valve? Do you have to push something open? And how much time does it take.

And this not too relevant:

Is it true that there're no speed limits on some of European highways? Friends of mine claimed it took them a little over 3 hrs to drive from Paris to (I think) Berlin or Hamburg. I didn't even want to ask what speed they were going, was just glad I wasn't there.

You pour oil into the big hole in the middle of the filter and let it soak through the element. A little bit at a time, takes maybe five minutes in warm weather. I start by pouring as much oil in as possible, and then start loosening the old filter. Once that's done, pop back to the new filter and pour some more in there...loosen the oil-pan drain plug...back to the new filter...

The bypass-valve works in the opposite direction btw. OE Sube filters for EJ engines don't have or need anti drain-back. (Please don't anyone argue me on that last point. Trust me, or read the EJ launch material yourself :D )

Speed limits:

French "Autoroutes" have a general 80mph limit. As far as I know, there are no de-restricted zones. Your friends took a chance, the French traffic police don't like foreigners abusing their motorways. In fact, they don't like foreigners at all :D

German "Autobahns" also have a general 80mph limit. Some stretches are signposted to lower limits. The good bits are the few stretches left where the signs let you know that there is no limit!

Stray more than 20pmh above a signposted speed limit and you are taking a bus home, the German police will confiscate your car, and maybe your license on-the-spot. Again, if your friends were breaking the limits in Germany, they were taking a BIG risk.

Three hours? I would suspect some bending of the truth. And perhaps it was from near Paris, to near Berlin. 4 hours would seem less like a load of baloney. 5 hours perfectly feasible - but you'd still need a fast car, ie. 140mph plus top speed.

ma-fia,

There are still some areas in Germany without a limit.

Our other car is a Euro spec 95 BMW 525i and I have had it up to 150mph. A couple of weeks ago we were in a 03 Volvo v70 turbo wagon driving to Frankfurt and topping out at 165. A rush but not very many areas that you can do this. The Europeans are also very concious drivers. They almost always drive as far right as possible and will move over when they see a car approaching. I wish the US drivers could figure this out. Germany is also very full of photo speed detection devices. 2 months later you recive a ticket and a hefty fine. :eek:

Thanks for the priming suggestions, folks. I don't have anything with EJ in it, so... I guess I do need antidrainbacks :) .

The reason I asked is that Mobil 1 didn't seem to be in any hurry to go down the Wix I got. Maybe they disliked each other. After, I beleive, 15-20 minutes, it went down maybe 1/8 of an inch (about 3 mm), so I lost patience and just slapped the filter on.

As to the "friends" in question, I'd say that I would not be surprised if 3 hours Paris-Berlin were true; I don't know them all that well, but they're complete nuts, can't find enough ways to waste money and are the worst rental-car (and probably any-car) abusers I have seen in my life, not pleasant people to be around all in all. What would they care about few extra hundreds in fines. Besides, I think that rental companies have insurance for such occasions: I don't know if it's possible to trace out-of-country people to fine then; I've known people to get tickets and simply trash them with no consequences.

I generally like how people behave on highways in Europe, in my experience most of the time they're very nice, especially in Germany. What I like about Italy (not counting my friends, and historical and spiritual places) is that when someone wants to pass and you're in the left lane, they politely turn their left blinker on -- no light flashing, no a** riding. Of course that's on highway, in the city it's all different story. If I lived in a bit city in Italy, I am not sure I would even WANT to own a car.

Paris to Hamburg could be done in 4 hours @ 140MPH (560 Miles), but you cannot sustain that speed over here, what with the traffic on two lane autobahns with trucks, road crews, construction zones, speed traps, stau (traffic jams), etc.

To me, faster driving appears to be around big cities, where you have 4 or so lanes, and you better stay to the right.

One nice thing over here is that most trucks can't drive on the Autobahns on Sundays.

Most stupid Americans drive with their cruise controls on, and don't realize you can use the skinny pedal on the right while passing. :D

And that sign on the American freeways "Slower Traffic Keep Right" is a mandatory law, not a frikkin' suggestion.

Tiny

Originally posted by Tiny Clark

Most stupid Americans drive with their cruise controls on, and don't realize you can use the skinny pedal on the right while passing.

And that sign on the American freeways "Slower Traffic Keep Right" is a mandatory law, not a frikkin' suggestion.]

Yeah, I know. Unfortunately "stupid" doesn't have a cure. I love cruise control, but not when I'm in the left lane and see folks in a hurry behind me, then yes the long skinny pedal is being used to make way.

I actually wouldn't mind putting "Slower Traffic Keep Right" in reverse on the front w-shield (as someone on the board did), and "Slower Traffic KeepS Right" on the back -- for when I don't feel like speeding (most of the time). Unfortunately in the country of huge pick-ups and SUVs it would only cause more butt-riding. What can you do :).

Besides, I am not all that fond of stickers.

Tiny,

I agree with your "most stupid" comment. Most of the drivers over here are Military Mini-van or SUV mom's that have had the military brain wash them about driving on the roads over here. Tickets, license revoked, it all goes throught there spouses commander so it reflects on the whole family. Too many bad habits learned in the US and then brought over here. There is also a section of rural road that we are not allowed to pass or drive over 80 clicks. To many accidents and this is there solution. Young kids over here with little driving experience.

What can you do?:)

Hmm, if you wanna drive fast, head south from Frankfurt. There's a four lane stretch that is arrow straight for 24km. They even post signs to let you know this!!

I have seen 170mph in a Porsche 993 Carrera 2, on this road. From the passenger seat ;)

Owner let me rip it up on some A-roads later...WOOHOO!!

I do live just south of Bitburg, my wife works in Spang. The road I talk about is the fog filled B50. With construction and SUV's and Mini Vans it is a fun drive.

Setright,

I know the stretch very well. Thats where the Volvo hit 165. Also witnessed from the passenger seat. :D

Another question. If I run Mobile one what wt. would you suggest.

I have three options. 15w-50, 10w-30 or 5w-30?

Thanks again and here is to letting the ponies run free.

The suggested travel speed on german autobahns is 130 kmh (80 mph). But this is only a suggestion and if there's no other speed limit - open end (on the speedo)!

Some parts of the autobahn are speed limited, mostly with 80 mph. But the bigger part of the whole autobahn in Germany is not speed limited.

Please note! If you ever are going to drive from Köln to Frankfurt on the A3 - please careful. There is a special downhill part near Limburg with a speed limit of 100 km/h (63 mph). There are three traffic sign bridges in a row. The second and third traffic sign bridge are equipped with a hidden speed limit camera!

In general, the best advice for driving on german roads is: Stick to the speed limit! You'll never save more money. And take car of red traffic lights. Some also have cameras and if you pass the crossing during the red phase - ding ring ding - you'll be a nice amount of bucks poorer and make your drivers license a nice give away for a nice police officer (but it's only for a month). On the other hand, Germany is one of the cheaper places in Europe for speed limit ignorance. Don't spoil the speed fun with not so funny tickets.

:mad:

thats the problem here in teh us.. they are too leanient with the tickets, etc.. i say give that dumb bastard a ticket if they insist on driving 10 mph less than the speed limit in the left lane.. fry that other guys balls when he runs a redlight.. that would make people over here wake up a drive..

ohh yeah next law i would enforce if it were a law and i was the head of a police force somewhere.. someone driving carelessley while talkin on a cellphone, putting on makeup, etc. automatically gets a $500 fine.. that might make them think twice..

i think the reason why there are less accidents and such in europe is people are too busy driving 80+ mph and don't have time to talk on the cell phone, put on makeup, read a book, whatever.. and the fines for infractions are hefty..

I think you have to pay more attention to what's going on when driving the autobahns. If you're doing the recommended 130KPH, the trucks that are driving 80-100KPH come up awfully fast, so you have to make sure that the Audi A8 that's coming up in the left lane won't run you over.

From what I've seen, only the newer cars over here have cruise control, but it's still really hard to set it and forget it like drivers do on the interstates. I rarely, if ever, use mine in the Subie.

Pay attention of fast approaching cars by looking in the back mirror is the key on german autobahns.

Frankly said it's hard to drive 130 kmh when there's a lot of traffic. There is an expression in german which translates like "swimming with the traffic". This what you have to do if you want to go the easy way. But take care of the limits!

One thing I forgot to mention is the safety distance (right???) which is the half of the current speed in meters. If you are closer to your "front man" then allowed it can get also very expensive. The police will take a nice movie of your "following skills" and then forward the "invoice" to you.

:eek:

0W-40 Motor oil from castrol or liquy moly is available at every "OBI" market for about 35-40 Euros (5 l). Or go to a "ATU" shop. They offer more brands, maybe also a 0W-50. But I think a 10W-40 will do it for you - this is the type you'll get poured in at the subaru repair shop. Especially if your Sube "needs" some oil. Oil changes are suggested every 12500 kms or every year at least.

Originally posted by Flo4Legacy

One thing I forgot to mention is the safety distance (right???) which is the half of the current speed in meters. If you are closer to your "front man" then allowed it can get also very expensive. The police will take a nice movie of your "following skills" and then forward the "invoice" to you.

Wow, this is so cool. I wish they had it in the US! Following skills of big trucks and little bitty cars with high beams on is way too good over here. Heck, you would think that butt-riding is a national sport.

Setright,

I wish you could come over here and explain this to all those butt-sniffers around here. Over here, one can't even calmly do the speed limit in the RIGHT lane most of the time without an insolent moron hanging on his tail! In my whole life I did not have anybody hit brakes on me, because I was too close behind. I respect other people, besides I'm not in a hurry to hit someone -- so I always try to keep safe distance.

Maybe I should purchase a videocamera and start sending vids to the cops. Sure with high enough resolution they can figure out the license plate.

Thank you Ma-Fia :D

Unfortunately my fellow Danish countrymen seem to like my Subaru so much that they have to get REAL CLOSE to it.

Hitting the brakes is too dangerous. Sometimes I do tap the pedal and flash the brake lights to wake the tail-gater up. Most of the time I pull as far to the right as possible and indicate right and maybe slow down. Usually they pass by. Of course this means that I have to contend with them clogging up the next set of bends or roundabout.

That's what really annoys me with these people, they follow so close like they're in hurry, and then they drive painfully slowly if the road bends.

Of course, that is another often used tactic of mine: Someone gets close and I know we are approaching a roundabout. I stay where I am, and FLY through the roundabout, and they always seem to drop back (cant keep up) and stay there (now they are convinced I am nuts).