Ultimate Subaru Message Board

serious new engine prob.

ok, i got my new ea82t engine thursday and started putting in my 87 gl10. it is a jdm replacement so i had to switch a few things from right to left. i changed the timing belts and gaskets and all but i cant get it to start.

the timing marks for the valves are lined up with the 3 marks on the flywheel, and the dot with the spot on the timing belt cover. the cams are 180 degrees apart.(if the dot on one cam is up the other cam is down). the ign timing was set to 0 degrees on the #1 cyl and then set to 20 degrees before. i do have some hoses that i cant find a home for. they are the hoses on the turbo side of the car aginst the inner fender coming off that valve looking thing. i think two of them connect to the turbo, but i cant find where the third one goes.

basically it is cranking over and sometimes it will fire but it never starts. i sprayed carb cleaner in it and it startde but ran real crappy then died. i know this would be hard to diagnose on the net but if anyone has any ideas on what could be wrong please pipe in.

That third hose is probably the one that goes to the vacuum canister.

You may have a large vacuum leak, or your ignition timing could be off.

Pull #1 spark plug. Put a cotton ball over the spark plug hole. crank the engine over by hand( 22mm socket on the cranck pulley) until the cotton ball poofs up from the spark plug hole. Then pull your distributor cap off. The rotor should be pointing toward the number one spark plug wire on the cap. If its not, move your distributor accordingly. Once it is pointed at #1 wire, you will be within a couple of degrees of being timed right.

If it is, you have other problems to consider.

Time it and report back