Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Legacy: How to replace the leaking crankshaft seal

How do I access it from below?

mark the tc in the bung hole from above and then rotate the engine with the crank bolt. if your mark moves or disappears, it's still connected. if the mark remains you have a problem.

the teeth on the torque converter which the starter use to turn over the engine will be visible from below at the cross member. worst case, remove the jack plate on the cross member. you should be able to see some of the bolt heads from below. with the plate off you can see about 45 degrees of the bottom of the torque converter. rotate 45* and you should see at least 1 bolt head. mark the one and then look for the other 3.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mark the tc in the bung hole from above and then rotate the engine with the crank bolt. if your mark moves or disappears, it's still connected. if the mark remains you have a problem.

See, that's the problem. When I rotate the crank bolt, while looking in that hole, I don't see anything moving at all.

Confused :-\

Yes, I marked it --- and finally now I saw it move.

Now what? I think this answers my question:

if it's an automatic, pull the bellhousing cover on the transmission, under the air intake/throttle body. rotate the engine until you see one of the openings in the flexplate. jam a 1/2" socket extension in there to hold it put as you loosen the 22mm crank pulley.

Edited by etc

I have a problem, I droped a short 3/8" extension into the bung hole. It didn't go into one of the holes in the TC but in the large space adjecent to it.

Now when I try to turn the crank bolt, it rotates smoothly most of the way except in one point where it encounters resistance...

Is this a problem and how do I get this piece out of there?

Where exactly is it?

Edited by etc

• 2 weeks later...

Hold on a sec....

I am just about done with a detailed instruction of doing what is called a "nose job" on a 2.2 liter engine. Which includes replaceing all the seals.

I did mine a couple of months ago and have documented the entire process. Its in a .doc right now and i am unsure as how to share it best. but i'll try to finish it up tonight and if anyone wants i'll e-mail it to them for now.

Its a guide by a novice for a novice...i'm sure there are lots of areas that can be improved on or done differently....I just know that the work i did seems to have been successfull.

• 1 month later...
I have a problem, I droped a short 3/8" extension into the bung hole. It didn't go into one of the holes in the TC but in the large space adjecent to it.

Now when I try to turn the crank bolt, it rotates smoothly most of the way except in one point where it encounters resistance...

Is this a problem and how do I get this piece out of there?

Where exactly is it?

Your extension is now in the bottom of your flywheel housing, I believe. You will probably have to take the engine out to separate the tranny from the motor to get the loose 3/8 extension out. A mechanic may be able to just separate them a little bit while still in the car, but i dunno. Thats why I do not condone going that route to remove the crank bolt which is on the entire other end of the engine. I advise not driveing the car.

Update:

I was able to fish out the extension from the bottom, it was actually visible and wasn't in the way of anything.

Anyway, I backed out from the timing belt, water pump leaking crankshaft steal job. I don't think the leak does any harm to anything other than occasional (and scary) smoke coming out from it.

I might get to timing belt/water pump next year. It just seemed too much work at the moment but if I do get to it, I will get the right tools.