Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally

Your RX Looks SICK :slobber: :slobber: Makes me want to paint mine Black.

Can you post up what exactly you used to swap the 5 lugs in?Like years and what they came from.

I know its been covered before but once more cant hurt :)

The stance looks perfect too

Your RX Looks SICK :slobber: :slobber: Makes me want to paint mine Black.

Can you post up what exactly you used to swap the 5 lugs in?Like years and what they came from.

I know its been covered before but once more cant hurt :)

The stance looks perfect too

I didnt use the normal swap parts.

They are mostly XT6, but I used XT6 2WD front struts.

All parts were from a 89 XT6, I cant remember what year the front struts were off of.

Rear - XT6 backing plate, rotor and hub. I've had the EA82 adjustable rear shocks for years and I got replacement KYB GR2's to fit the coil perch.

But I didnt want the rump roast end sticking up any more, I wanted to lower the car.

I planned on flipping the top mounts like we do on the XT6's to lower it, but I found out this involved making a hole in the top of the wheel well for the longer strut top (same for a XT6). I didnt have time to mess with doing that, so I opted for cutting the springs :eek:

I only took out 2 coils and figured if it was to low, I could always adjust the shock up a notch. As you can see, it wasnt needed and the ride quality is not effected at all.

Front - XT6 hub, rotor, brake caliper, axle, lower control arm and tie rod end.

I planned on using the top hats off my RX struts, but upon removal discovered they were toast (never even noticed). I had a pair of XT air struts and used the top hats off those.

Also had a bad inner tie rod and replaced that with another from a XT rack I had.

Russ re-used the RX bolt for the inner bushing of the lower control arm to x-member. I may change that, one side seems loose. Normally the x-member hole is drilled to 1/2in for the XT6 bolt.

I also had a frozen caliper and had to run to my parts car to get another.

Along with the lower strut bolts and a lower ball joint.

And once it was all together, we took it around the block to seat things and the right front bearings are toast. At least I have another hub on my parts car :rolleyes:

The only new parts I have installed were front brake pads and lug nuts.

I already had XT6 front and rear sway bars installed, but right now I decided to try not having the front hooked up. It still needs a alignment, the steering wheel isnt centered and the steering feels off.

I wonder if you flip the top hat on a sedan or wagon you would need to do the same thing. No one has ever mentioned it before.

had to do some grinding on the mount, probably did more than I needed, but better that then not enough.

also had to drill a hole (happened to have a 7/8" hole saw handy from my ebrake cable rerouting project) in the sheet metal above it for the end of the shock rod and it's nut to poke through.

and still had to use some impact technology (mini maul and air hammer worked well) to force it up there a bit.

yea

So uhhh wont that stick through the body into the interior.

don't have to drill through the interior trim. but yea, I pulled the trim off the wheel well, and I could see the top nut sticking up.

it works, but I would not recommend it. now that I have the adjustable ground-controls on, I have ditched that setup.

Soo cuttin those rear springs workin good for ya huh.

I havent had much road time yet to notice the difference yet.

I put about 6mi on it going to the car wash and I thought the right front bearing was going to seize on me :eek:

But the rear felt fine otherwise.

Rob, get the front end up on stands and check how tight the strut rods and control arms are. I left them "snug" because as I was explaining the way those bushings work in the control arms, since they've had a chance to settle, go back through and make sur everything is tight but keep the front end loaded up.

Rob, get the front end up on stands and check how tight the strut rods and control arms are. I left them "snug" because as I was explaining the way those bushings work in the control arms, since they've had a chance to settle, go back through and make sur everything is tight but keep the front end loaded up.

I re-checked everything this afternoon and re-tightened everything.

One radius rod and both control arms were loose.

But I still have a wobble :-\

And its a weird one. Its not cyclic, its just random.

I'm going to rotate tires tomorrow, see if that helps.