Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Old Enkies bad bead

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Major Lazy

Major Lazy

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • Everett, Wa

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:41 PM

Today I took the old silver enkies in to Les Schwab because they seemed to have a slow leak (well, 2 of them). They recommended new rims because the old bead was in bad shape. I am not sure what would cause that (curb rash, oxidation, ?). Has anyone else had this problem and is there a solution or just check the air more often?

#2 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

WileE Coyote Super Genius

• Members
  • 2,978 posts
  • West Des Moines, IA

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:08 PM

I thought rims with bad beads you could just clean them up with a wire brush or a grinder if there that bad and all would be well again.

#3 Durania

Durania

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,113 posts
  • Crossville, TN

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:35 PM

So did they come out and say they would sell you new wheels? You sure it just wasn't a sales pitch?

#4 GLCraig

GLCraig

Livin' the live

• Members
  • 2,706 posts
  • LV, Washington

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:44 PM

Take the wheels to a shop that repairs aluminum wheels. Ask them if they think the wheels are okay and if they are not okay, find out what they would charge to fix them. Enkies are hard to come by and they may worth fixing if they really need it.

#5 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

WileE Coyote Super Genius

• Members
  • 2,978 posts
  • West Des Moines, IA

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:52 PM

Ive never heard of a wheel going bad unless it was bent.

#6 4x4_Welder

4x4_Welder

Just a guy

• Members
  • 1,131 posts
  • Rexburg, ID

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:54 PM

Someone there probably wants your Enkies-
They have a goop they use, it's kinda like black RTV but it gets painted on. Basically, take the tire off, wire wheel the bead areas, paint this stuff on, and put the tire on.
At this point, you should take a moment to hope the person taking it apart next time is not you.

#7 Major Lazy

Major Lazy

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • Everett, Wa

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:33 AM

They have a goop they use, it's kinda like black RTV but it gets painted on. Basically, take the tire off, wire wheel the bead areas, paint this stuff on, and put the tire on.
At this point, you should take a moment to hope the person taking it apart next time is not you.

They did use the goop, they said they put bead sealant on them but it was still borderline. For now i guess ill just check them more often and get a second opinion. I usually have very good info from Les Schwab, I don't think they were trying to sell me rims. I highly doubt they could even get 4x140 rims.

#8 tizzle

tizzle

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 607 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:08 PM

If you ever make it up to Bellingham, I work at one of the Les Schwabs there. I could give you my opinion. Sounds like the wheel had a lot of corrosion on the bead seating area, that's fixable with a wire wheel or sandpaper, but probably not something a store is going to want to spend a bunch of time on for free

Ive never heard of a wheel going bad unless it was bent.

mostly, I have seen ones leaking from corrosion alone.

#9 Pontiac6KSTEAWD

Pontiac6KSTEAWD

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • St Louis

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:52 PM

I would ask your Les Schwab people about the "new rim". Something simple, like what do you recomend. He will probly head off to his computer, and come back to you and say something like, "getting your old rims repaired is what I recomend", since you cant find this style of bolt pattern anymore..

Just do a simple search on www.tirerack.com and you can tell there just arent aftermarket rims available..

Also, all you have to do it use a steel wool drill bit, and grind off all the corrosion on the bead. Then paint it with bead sealer, wait a day for it to dry, and reinstall your tire. You dont even need to put the paint bead sealer on, but it makes it so it isnt a problem latter down the line.

Lastly, I would have asked to see the leak at the bead. I realize that alloy wheels do have a tendency to leak air, for some reason its just the nature of the beast. But I have seen more tires go flat from a bad valve stem than anything else (besides a nail or screw puncture).

#10 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,791 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:45 AM

I'd be interested in those wheels if they are the eight spoke style like in my profile picture. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in selling them.

#11 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:51 PM

if the wheel beads are garbage, then i would like to buy them. send me a pm if you want to sell

#12 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,791 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:32 PM

Whatever happened to these wheels?

#13 Major Lazy

Major Lazy

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • Everett, Wa

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:39 PM

I just keep pumping them up :cool:

No i really do not look cool because i don't have a compressor so I use my bicycle pump. And yes they are silver like the gold ones in your avatar. However I do not want to sell them unless you want to take the RX too.

Edited by Major Lazy, 01 June 2009 - 09:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users