Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whine from front right is starting to get louder...

I've never had a CV joint whine -- it's usually clicking during turns. Might be the wheel bearing.

If if is the CV, get factory replacement axles -- the aftermarket ones don't have the best reputation, plus they'll be for the wrong car if you don't get them from the dealer -- checker and napa always send the wrong ones.... replacing them is not bad at all, as long as you don't run into trouble with the roll pins -- use the right size punch to drive them out, not a nail or a bolt or whatever you have laying around....

Yeah... I've always taken mine in to have the wheel bearings done.

Except now, the local shop that I always used to take stuff to when it was a little more than I wanted to tackle (or when I'd rather pay someone $300 to work on the car, and go hiking instead of rolling around in the mud all weekend under the car) closed, so I don't have anywhere cheap to take them too any more...) :-\

the cheapest and easiest way to fix a bad bearing is to just buy a complete knuckle/hub assembly. very easy and usually not hard to find.

unbolt struts, tie rod and ball joint and you're done. much simpler than doing a bearing replacement. good idea to pull the inner wheel seal since it's what seals against the axle. very easy, just like replacing any other seal. pull it out, tap a new one in place. clean out any dirt in there, smear some new grease around before putting the new seal back in. this will protect your "new" bearings.

some folks on here even replace that seal every time they replace an axle. not a bad idea to protect the bearings. i bought a wheel seal for an EJ the other day and it was only $8.