Ultimate Subaru Message Board

High Idle

I just did a spfi swap on my 86 hatch, runs great except for when i stop at a red light or stop sign ect... the rpms rise to about 2800 rpms and holds till i take off. and then runs fine and when i stop same thing. its very frusterating cuz i cant afford it to be burning gas like that. and i dont know much bout spfi, ive checked: for vaccum leaks there are none, timing is good, and idk what to do

Thanks

SS

If its a spfi (single point fuel injection aka throttle body injected), try cleaning

the throttle body.

That can get pretty messed up with grease and grime.

Also check for vacuum leaks with a spray bottle of soapy water.

If you have a leak you may be able to get bubbles to show up on the offending

hose.

If its mpfi (multi port fuel injected) I would look into having it scoped by a

certified tech.

And do a vacuum leak test before you take it to a tech.

Twitch

Check the coolant temp sender. Mine had a similar problem since it was installed. Unplug it and see if it returns to normal idle if it does find a replacement. As an afterthought is your gas mileage not quite what you expect? If not that is probably the culprit barring vac leaks.

Check the coolant temp sender. Mine had a similar problem since it was installed. Unplug it and see if it returns to normal idle if it does find a replacement. As an afterthought is your gas mileage not quite what you expect? If not that is probably the culprit barring vac leaks.

Well i filled the gas tank to see my new mileage and so far its getting pretty good, with this high idle thing, so im expecting a little better after i figure out the idle problem, but ill check the coolant temp sender. thanks

SS