Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

FJ1600 Question

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 psq947

psq947

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Brisbane Aust

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:01 AM

I recently aquired from Japan,a Subaru powered race car. An FJ1600 built by Tokyo R&D in 1994. It is powered by a EA71 engine. It has a Subaru transaxle. 5 speed. It appears to have no reverse gear. I have not had the unit apart, so I don't know what is inside. Does anyone have information on the vehicle? It is very well built and appears to be not unlike a formula Ford.
I have tried the internet but most of the information is in Japanese and I am not familiar with the language. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 1whillary

1whillary

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Dunedin

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:25 AM

Hi there,
I am replying to a very old post about your FJ1600.Do you still have it?Let me know and we may be able to exchange info,as I have one as well.Mine is a Manatee Mk8 and I have just started racing it here in New Zealand in sprints and hillclimbs.
Cheers
Wayne Hillary
wayne.chris@kinect.co.nz

#3 Logan K

Logan K

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Edmonds

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:54 AM

do either of you have pictures??

#4 LeoneTurbo

LeoneTurbo

EJ engine expert

• Gold Subscribers
  • 339 posts
  • Arnhem (The Netherlands)

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:54 AM

I have a (Japanese) magazine with an article about the FJ1600 and the twin-carb EA71 1600cc engine. Is that helpful?

#5 swampbrat

swampbrat

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Page Az

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:22 PM

come on ....have a heart! POST SOME PICS for us - it's bad enough we won't ever get a ride in one!:lol:

#6 pickstock

pickstock

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • south australia

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:19 PM

yeah somone post some pics
i dont wanna go and have to google it hahah

we are starting to think about a new race series in the same format as formula first/formula vee. currently using volkswagon stuff but even thast getting rare and expensive cause not many poeople are bringing them in from brazil.
so we were thinking about using that sort of thing, a cross between formula ford and formula vee.

subaru ea82, single carb of free construction, single port heads, pistons free, crank free mounted to a subaru EA82, 2wd transaxle mounted the correct way etc with free suspension.

would be awesome to have a 4wd box though hahahah

#7 1whillary

1whillary

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Dunedin

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:44 AM

If I can figure out how to post photos on here I will post some of my car.Its a 1980's FJ 1600 Manatee Mk 8.EA 71 engine with twin carbs.Dont know whats inside,but mine is great to drive.Have had a few 1/4 miles some hillclimbs and competed on Teretonga race circuit in Invercargill(Lower Sth Island,NZ) last weekend.1/4 mile times were 14.2 best time.Top speed on flying 1/4 a few months ago around 200km/hr.Very simple car,probably easy to fabricate.5 speed gearbox(now have reverse,with a bit of playing with gear lever),weighs around 450kg.If anyone wants photos for possible construction,I have not had much luck with info about these cars but believe they are around 100hp.

Email me direct and I will send you plenty.Email...wayne.chris@kinect.co.nz.

Cheers
Wayne Hillary
Dunedin
New Zealand

#8 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,655 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:52 PM

come on ....have a heart! POST SOME PICS for us - it's bad enough we won't ever get a ride in one! :lol:

Could it be one of These?

5510leoneswigback08.jpg

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo, 31 July 2014 - 07:07 AM.

#9 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,655 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:52 AM

I Found a couple of Cellphone Pictures of the Subaru SRX Race Car, actual Look in a Garage:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,655 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:21 AM

The Name of those Racing Subaru Cars, is MANATEE,

is Still Written and can be Partially readed on this Pic:

4527242534_e5f3bbcced.jpg

Just behind the Driver's place.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo, 31 July 2014 - 07:09 AM.

#11 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,655 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:28 AM

The USMB member 1whillary (Wayne Hillary) from Dunedin, New Zealand,

Kindly sent me via e-mail, Pictures of his second gen Subaru Manatee:

Manatee1.jpg

Manatee2.jpg

Manatee3.jpg

Which is the Most Beautiful Subaru Manatee I've ever Seen. :headbang:

Thank you Wayne for letting me Post your Pics, You're So Kind.

Best Regards

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo, 31 July 2014 - 07:12 AM.

#12 Astro12

Astro12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • NSW Australia

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:38 AM

Hi Guys, I know this thread is old but very relavent for me. I recently aquired an FJ1600. The car was driving when I bought it but I plan to strip it down and rebuild it for hillclimb and sprint use. This has been on hold whilst I bulid a trailer for the car. Researching these cars has not been easy but this forum has certainly helped. Also getting parts is not as easy as it would have been years ago when there were a lot more Leone's around. I have started a parts manual for the car so that future maintenance is easier. I hope to make contact with other owners of these great little racecars so that we may compare notes. ps will try to workout how to post photos.

#13 Willy Fisterbottom

Willy Fisterbottom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • NSW

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:15 AM

Hi Guys, I know this thread is old but very relavent for me. I recently aquired an FJ1600. The car was driving when I bought it but I plan to strip it down and rebuild it for hillclimb and sprint use. This has been on hold whilst I bulid a trailer for the car. Researching these cars has not been easy but this forum has certainly helped. Also getting parts is not as easy as it would have been years ago when there were a lot more Leone's around. I have started a parts manual for the car so that future maintenance is easier. I hope to make contact with other owners of these great little racecars so that we may compare notes. ps will try to workout how to post photos.

Hey mate, I'd be keen to check out your FJ1600, I'm looking at importing one but, I'm worried that I wont fit in it as it's probably made for shorter people, would be good if I could see if I fit in yours before shipping one over :-)

#14 Astro12

Astro12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • NSW Australia

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:00 AM

Hi Willy, These cars are built for junior drivers, so are very sparse as far as driver space is concerned. This was my major concern when purchasing mine. As it turns out I can just fit in the car, but I would not be able to drive it as my elbows do not have enough room to move the steering wheel. I am 175cm 100kg (not quite the racehorse that this car was designed for).The car itself, I am absolutely happy with. I could not build this car for the money I paid.These cars were made by many different manufacturers, resulting in several different designs. There is one available on Ebay in Brisbane at the moment for $15000. I plan to modify the driver cockpit to accomodate my larger girth. Which means cutting out bars and welding in new ones, modifying bodywork to suit, but I still think that I would be much further along than if I had built one from scratch as I had previously planned to do. Where are you located Willy?

#15 Willy Fisterbottom

Willy Fisterbottom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • NSW

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:42 PM

Hi Willy, These cars are built for junior drivers, so are very sparse as far as driver space is concerned. This was my major concern when purchasing mine. As it turns out I can just fit in the car, but I would not be able to drive it as my elbows do not have enough room to move the steering wheel. I am 175cm 100kg (not quite the racehorse that this car was designed for).The car itself, I am absolutely happy with. I could not build this car for the money I paid.These cars were made by many different manufacturers, resulting in several different designs. There is one available on Ebay in Brisbane at the moment for $15000. I plan to modify the driver cockpit to accomodate my larger girth. Which means cutting out bars and welding in new ones, modifying bodywork to suit, but I still think that I would be much further along than if I had built one from scratch as I had previously planned to do. Where are you located Willy?

Hety Astro, I'm 187cm so I'm in the same boat. I've seen the one on ebay but I could get 3 delivered from Japan at that price, I made an offer but he didn't accept it. I'm located in the Blue mountains.

#16 Astro12

Astro12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • NSW Australia

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:24 AM

Hi Willy, If you can get them at that price I'd go for it if I were you. You need to be prepared to do some modifications to fit your size. Assuming that you can do the modifications yourself, you will end up with a car that is way cheaper than the equivalent racecar available locally.And also understand that these cars will not be world beaters, performance-wise, but if your goal is to have an affordable open wheel racecar, then these,FJ 1600's, I believe to be great value per dollar. BTW, I am compiling a parts list of my car so that future maintenance is made easier. I would gladly share this info with you. Keep me updated as to how you are going with the purchase of a car.

#17 Formula1600

Formula1600

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Nambour QLD

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:33 AM

Hi All,

I bought the FJ1600 that was listed for sale in Brisbane. I intend to get it running for the next Noosa Hillclimb in November this year.

The car is a Tokyo R&D Model F4/92 and has a Subaru Ea71 motor with twin Hitachi carbs.

Anyone that has any specs or setup info for these cars that they can share it would be greatly appreciated?

Regards

George

george.brook@commsecservices.com.au

Attached Files

Edited by Formula1600, 29 August 2014 - 01:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users