Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hub Puller Yoke Slide Hammer axle

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 unibrook

unibrook

Sube1

• Members
  • 471 posts
  • Boston

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:12 PM

Just wondering if anyone KNOWS of a SPECIFIC yoke that definitely fits the Forester standard lug pattern so I can slide hammer this beeyatch hub out of the knuckle. The 5 star lug pattern measures 6.0 cm between nearest lug bolt centers. And 9.50 cm between furthest lug bolt centers. Big thanks if anyone can help. (All sorts of slide hammers with yokes available on the web, but, ahem.....hellooooo sellers, if you don't provide accurate specs in your description of the tool, how can I tell if it will fit my car?)

#2 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,948 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:41 PM

I have no idea if this would work, but is something I was thinking about in case I ever needed to do it.... how about an old brake rotor put on backwards, maybe with a few fender washers in the middle hole with the slide hammer screw through the washers?

#3 unibrook

unibrook

Sube1

• Members
  • 471 posts
  • Boston

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:58 PM

I think that sounds perfect, but I don't have the old brake rotor.
What do you think about putting the slide hammer rod thru the rotor, then attaching the washers and nut and yanking it out like that? Do you think the odds of damaging the hub are too high?

#4 davebugs

davebugs

I don't "friend"

• Members
  • 3,112 posts
  • Pittsburgh suburbs (NE)

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:15 PM

Check w/your local Suby shop for old rotors. Of some of the cheap new rotors are under 20 bucks.

#5 ron917

ron917

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:28 PM

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0002SRF6C

Use the screw to press against the axle stub or attach a slide hamer (5/8-18 thread) and bang away.

#6 unibrook

unibrook

Sube1

• Members
  • 471 posts
  • Boston

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

This brings up a good point, my bro the mechanic warns that you might damage the axle using this forcing screw design of hub remover cuz it stresses the axle. Subaru uses the slide hammer method.
Anyone ever damage their axle using the screw press method?

(oh, btw, Advance Auto DOES have the adapter to fit the Subaru lug nut pattern...you just need to ask 4 different clerks about it until you find the person who knows wtf is up in his store. :-\
Powerbilt Kit #41 provides the slide hammer, Kit #40 provides the adapter yoke that fits Subaru)

#7 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,948 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:54 AM

Not sure it would be forcing against the end of the axle shaft which is just steel or cast iron or whatever it is. It does seem that with the forcing method though it might start to push the axle stub out of the hub but the hub might still be stuck in the bearing housing? Until the axle can't compress any more then it might be putting lateral force against the joints?

Posted Image

Edited by porcupine73, 22 April 2009 - 09:56 AM.

#8 unibrook

unibrook

Sube1

• Members
  • 471 posts
  • Boston

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:55 AM

yep, it's those lateral forces against the joints that I am worried about.:eek:

#9 ron917

ron917

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:16 PM

I was wondering about that myself. Haven't needed to pull a hub yet. But if the FSM says use a slide hammer, I'd just screw one on to the puller yoke. The OTC puller is designed for that, the same yoke is included in some of their slide hammer kits.

I bought the puller because I have an axle job coming up. I want to have it on hand in case the axle is stuck so I don't have to hunt one down in the middle of the job. 'Course, since I have it, the axle will probably just slide out with no fuss.

#10 Olnick

Olnick

Ol' Subaru Guy

• Members
  • 2,613 posts
  • Honolulu HI

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:39 PM

'Course, since I have it, the axle will probably just slide out with no fuss.

'Course it will. But you know what would happen if you didn't have it!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users