Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My favorite battery charger

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:00 PM

I've found that a decent battery charger is invaluble. My favorite was bought from Harbor Freight for around $70.

http://www.battery-r...ry-charger.html

#2 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,931 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:05 PM

I have one almost like that same brand and like it too.

#3 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

WileE Coyote Super Genius

• Members
  • 2,943 posts
  • West Des Moines, IA

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:14 PM

Alittle off topic but i bought my battery charger about 10 years ago. Since then ive ran it over with my car. Still works great.

#4 shadetreemech

shadetreemech

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Chaska, Minnesota

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:15 PM

Smart Charger by Vector--you are correct, a very good charger. It has a desulfation cycle which will revive a sulfated battery. I use mine on the deep cycle batteries in my motor home. Do a charge, then a desulfate cycle, and another charge. Batteries that would be junk ten years ago can be revived. The only fault of this unit: if your battery is completely dead, it won't even try to charge it. I have an old 1970's charger that is "dumb". It would try to charge a rock if you hooked it up. When my deep cycle batts go flat, I put the old "Dumb Charger" on them for a few hours. It gives them just enough juice so that the Smart Charger can tell they are batteries, and then will charge them.

#5 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,125 posts
  • WA

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:43 PM

I've had my Sears charger for almost 30yrs.
Simple and effective.
Its been in the rain several times and I've had to patch up all the cords on it a few times. But it still charges.

#6 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:21 AM

Alittle off topic but i bought my battery charger about 10 years ago. Since then ive ran it over with my car. Still works great.

The car or the charger?:lol:

#7 erik litchy

erik litchy

Leadfoot

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • Peoria IL

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:54 AM

thank you i will buy it

#8 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

WileE Coyote Super Genius

• Members
  • 2,943 posts
  • West Des Moines, IA

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:08 AM

The car or the charger?:lol:

The Charger, car got crushed years ago.

#9 GLCraig

GLCraig

Livin' the live

• Members
  • 2,706 posts
  • LV, Washington

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:56 PM

I've had my Sears charger for almost 30yrs.
Simple and effective.
Its been in the rain several times and I've had to patch up all the cords on it a few times. But it still charges.

The Schumacher charger that I have is just as old, and it works just fine every time I need it. I got mine at a garage sale for $5.00. :banana:

#10 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 3,975 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:21 AM

I need to get another charger, mine died a while back. Got it from Wal*Mart maybe 20 years ago, 2/5/50 amp.

Right now, I'm using a .7 amp 12VDC power pack to maintain some of the batterys around here. Seems to work ok, but a charger would be nice.

#11 DaveAP

DaveAP

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • Prescott, Arizona

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:38 PM

That's funny, my son rolled onto my my old sears unit. I beat out the cover. It still works fine too.

I've had trouble with the newer "smart" chargers. "Check Battery" sign. Guess I need to gas them with some old sears juice before using the smart one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users