Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Brake pads that don't fit into their holders

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CNY_Dave

CNY_Dave

03 LL Bean H6

• Members
  • 1,431 posts
  • Near Cortland NY

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:18 AM

Stuck in new rear pads and rotors.

Could hardly pry the old pads out of the holder, gee, maybe that's why the inner pad is almost new and the outer pad is toast?

Cleaned everything up and the new pads (from napa) were the same way- what the heck?

You could see where the metal of the pad backer had 'smeared' a little bit during the stamping and shearing process, leaving the pad oversize.

Little work with the grinder fixed that right up, but this isn't the 1st time I've had to do post-work on new brake parts. Had to take a grinder to some minivan drums last year to remove some material they didn't turn off with the lathe.

The pads I took out had been put in by the dealer, so I assume they were OEM.

I had removed the stainless pieces and cleaned them, and made sure the areas where they set were clean and not all rusty, so I'm fairly sure this was all about the pad backer being oversize.

The caliper sliders had good boots and moved freely, at least.

Dave

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,896 posts
  • WV

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:42 AM

yeah, this is a good topic dave. i replied to your other post about wheel bearings. well, while doing his wheel bearing his front pads were the same way. i had to remove the bracket and pound the pads out. i cant' believe they even worked properly they were in there so tight. they would not pry out with a screw driver, had to hammer them out. the inner was worn significantly more than the outer for his front caliper.

i didn't think to file/grind the tabs down but will next time, that doesn't seem right.

#3 davebugs

davebugs

I don't "friend"

• Members
  • 3,112 posts
  • Pittsburgh suburbs (NE)

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:48 AM

Common problem.

I'm usually installing new Wagner Therno Quiet pads and new rotors.

Flash is common and I always file, and use anti-seize.

I also take the stainless clips off and file the bracket behind them and apply some anit-seize there as well hoping to minimize rust (which expands the metal). Clean the stainless clips usually with brake clean and scotch brite.

Install pads with the bracket in the vise. If tight - file flash until snug. Tape pads out, install bracket along w/rotor on the car, install pads.

#4 yohy

yohy

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • The Great State of Maine

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

EndWrench had an article with regards to this problem:
http://endwrench.com....php&&RECID=358

and by the way, I have run into this issue before and can be a PITA to track down. Now I know and "bench test" the fit before getting the caliper on the car.

#5 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,896 posts
  • WV

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:04 AM

That endwrench note is very short and simple, so I posted it here, this is all it says.

The problem I had was on a 1997 Legacy, where the article says 2001+ vehicles. I guess with older ones maybe it's just rust or something? Didn't seem that rusty to me, no more than any other caliper bracket i've worked on.

Attached Files

Edited by grossgary, 27 April 2009 - 10:06 AM.

#6 yohy

yohy

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • The Great State of Maine

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:13 AM

grossgary, yep on the older models, my last issue was with the '97 L. And davebugs, as mentioned, cleaning up the behind the clips is critical to them seating properly. I found quite a lot of buildup, brake dust, dirt and grime behind where the clips sit.

#7 ron917

ron917

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:30 AM

I've had the same problem, most recently on the '99 OBW (now my son's). It's not limited to Subarus. I've had to take a file or Dremel to the backing plate ears on other cars, too. Not every time, and not all of the pads in a set. Sometimes it's just a paint glob, sometimes it's too much metal.

#8 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,599 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:12 PM

Been there done that myself, and not just on soobys. I also have had them fall out of the car, the other extreeme.

nipper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users