Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just posted the adapter pics

I posted the pics with some naratives at my web page.

Check it out and ask questions. I was feeling lazy tonight and didn't take the tranny off to get pics of the adapter on the block alone.

If what I have isn't clear enough I'll do it tomorrow.

I have some ideas to make building the adapter even easier than the one I made. Bottom line is that it should be damn solid.

Post comments here, I like public humiliation.

Troy

Very well done Troy.

I have one simple question from my simple mind.

Now that the throw out bearing sits 1/2" further away from the pressure plate, did you make any provisions for moving the clutch fork arm pivot closer to the engine?

Sorry I'm sure you addressed this and I missed it.

Thanks, you scared the complete crap out of me! How the @#$% did I miss that.

After a deep breath however...

The adapter thickness was determined by the relationship of the new tranny/flywheel combination to the EJ block mounting face. The relationship of the throwout bearing to the clutch hasn't changed. just the tranny/ clutch combination to the engine.

Does that make sense?

Now that my heart is beating again....

Sorry, mate. I didn't me to give you a start.

What you are saying is the distance shown on the EA flywheel below as "X"

is equal to the adapter thickness plus the same distance measured on the EJ flywheel.

In other words, the EJ flywheel is thinner than the EA flywheel by the thickness of the adapter plate.

flywhwidth.jpg

In a word, yes.

I did use a more tactile method for proving out the thickness required.

I slid the EA tranny on to the EJ fly wheel and clutch, and it went on nearly all the way.

I then modified the EA flywheel, installed it without the clutch, and slid the EA tranny on to that, and measured the gap.

I installed the EA clutch and slid the tranny on, and again measured the gap.

The measurement came out to about 10-11mm each time.

On a previous thread another fellow hooked me up with info on a site that mentioned using a manufactured plate for just this conversion, and they mentioned the adapter depth of 10mm. I was sold.

The end of the input shaft sits neatly in a hole in the center of the flywheel, and stops at a shoulder on the shaft, giving an exact dimension.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the EJ flywheel is thinner than the EA flywheel.

you all are very kind.

Fact is, I have been working on a way to post the template so that anyone who wants can make their own. I have gotten a great deal of help on this board and the template is an easy way to keep the giving going.

Sounds corn ball, but it's true.

this board rocks!

anyone that wants to build these and sell them can give my portion to the board.

Troy

You might be on to something there. I have people ask me from time to time if I can make them a subframe, dual shock adapter, front shock adapter, steering linkage etc. and unfortunatly I usually can't because of the time to re-create a one of a kind solution. But usually it is because it isn't practical for me to charge what it was worth. For example: A front shock mount would involve trips to the metal shop, hardware store, and auto parts store. Then there is the setup time, reproduction of the original, and shipping. So in reality, it could take an entire day to make that item and then I would be selling what should be a $40 part for $400 or more (which I would never do in good concience) so it just isn't practical.

However, I would gladly turn over any of the designs for solutions I have created to someone who would be interested in producing them. Maybe someone like PK davis might be interested in adding a front shock adapter or EJ to EA adapter to their lineup?