Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Broken AC belt, safe to drive?

I popped the hood to see what that funny noise was and found my ac belt arm-wrestling with my oil dipstick. Does this belt run anything else? Will driving it around without this belt do any damage to the engine? It will be about a month before I can get the time/money to deal with belts and that "learning experience" [never changed 'em myself]. Being my one and only vehicle, I would sure like to still use it. What say 'ye Subbie Gurus? Thanks for the help once again. :)

Sounds like EA82. There are a couple different style systems, but from the few Ive seen as long as it is the inner belt it doesnt drive anything else, you can just cut the belt off. Replacing the belts isnt that difficult or expensive though. You could do it after work or on a luch break beginner or not. Odds are good the other belt is soon to follow.

The other useful piece of info to know is if the A/C compressor is inboard of the alternator or outboard.

yeah... that's kind of important, as it changes the answer...

Is the second belt still driving the alternator, power steering pump, and water pump? If so, they you are good (till that one breaks, at least). On mine, which had outboard A/C, I never even ran the A/C belt, just the smaller one that did the inside loop. If you have the inboard A/C, the single long belt will still drive everything else, IIRC, but don't turn the A/C on (or the defrost, because that turns the A/C on too) or it will smoke the belt because it's just passing over the pully instead of actually going around it enough to turn it.

It's about $12 for a new belt, and maybe half an hour to replace it.

Any tips on this "quick and easy" job? As mentioned, I'm new at this. It seems pretty straight foward except for the engine fan. Looks like I have to remove it before I can even get to the belts. Do I need to completely remove it or does it slide in on the axle, allowing me to slip the belt around it?

92 Loyale. 1.8L EA82 spfi with AC.