Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 loyal wagon 4wd 5 speed vs. 86 gl wagon 4wd auto parts interchange??..

i need some parts for my 90 loyale 4wd 5 speed wagon, and have a chance to buy a 86 gl wagon 4wd auto trans unit that is actually in better cosmedic condition than my 90. do the parts interchange like the front and rear cv shafts, brakes, alternator, a/c compressor, water pump, spindles, struts, etc. any interchange infor or a link to a source would be so helpfull here. this is a one owner car with only 100 thousand miles and it over heated once and they pulled the heads, found they were cracked and it sat ever since. tons of new parts and since new it had all records of work done. has sat for four years though, but in the last 20 thousand miles it had over five hundred in new parts installed. so, if the parts will all work out for my car that i only paid 50 bux for, i reckon, payin 200 for this parts car would be ok? what do you all think? thanks in advance for any help recieved.

three foot of snow and it was still crawling!!:grin:

Those two cars are pretty identical since subaru's are pretty much giant lego kits. Except for two things... the manual and auto transmissions will have some differences (different axles, and different diff ratios, I think), and the '86 will be carbureated, and the loyale fuel injected. Other than that, they should interchange pretty well. I swear that they made about a dozen different water pumps for the EA82 engine though... depending on whether you had factory A/C, dealer A/C, no A/C, etc... funny that they basically made the same car for 10 years, but even one model year the water pump could be so many different versions. A/C compressors are similarly variable. But the basic engine is quite interchangeable, and if you wanted you could bolt the manual tranny drivetrain into the '86 with its engine and then put the SPFI system from the loyale in there. Just depends on how much swapping around of stuff you wanted to do...

Z

Axles will interchange. Engine blocks will interchange.

There are only 2 types of EA82 water pumps. 1 is short, 1 is long. No A/C or Dealer A/C is the long. Factory A/C (GL-10s, etc.) are short.

Wiring will be different colors for alot of stuff, but alot of stuff is the same.

Brakes and hubs, steering, etc. will all be the same.

As Gloyale wrote, most everything will interchange. There are some minor body differences in the wagons, AFAIK all involving the tailgate window (glued vs. gasket) and the rear fixed windows (slightly different shape of opening and glass). The side mirrors are different between 85/86 and all later.

The Loyales were made "down market" (less well appointed) than their GL predecessors so as to encourage Legacy sales. Non-power mirrors (even on turbo Loyales) and cheaper interiors seem to be the rule. Oh, and if the Loyale is a turbo (unlikely), then the front axles will be different.

The "cracked" heads on the one engine were probably just the normal superficial between-the-valves cracks that nearly all EA82s get; the non-turbos seem to rarely have truly cracked heads.

i was thinking about using the 86 body instead but i can't believe the guy put that spray in foam anywhere it was rusting. he seemed proud of this??? its been sitting for around four years so i think the water soaked foam probably has done its damage. plus it was a mice condo and even a rat was dead under the rear axle. i agree on the heads, he said it was over heating and he took it apart and found the heads were cracked and couldn't find any and it sat since. gasket set is included and he says he shut it off right away, the heads are prolly ok. he has alot of mice condo's, has about 40 vehicles in his back yard. he hates to get rid of anything, thus me paying four times as much for a parts car as i did my own loyale. i just knew when i forked out 50 bux for mine i was gonna be addicted like a crack head. i noticed this gl sits like two inches lower than my loyale though. does that make any sense? is there some sort of off road package that gives the skid plates and stuff like mine has?

is there a way to tell if the "cracked" heads that come with this 86 gl are ok for use without actually running them? that seems like a bit of a stretch at this point but wondering if there is a way to test them or something that i am un aware of. . the last engine i built was a 360 mopar and i went thru 7 heads that came off of perfectly good and running engines to get two that weren't "officially" cracked upon magnaflux.

is there a subie rehab center in the chicago area?

You can have the heads pressure tested (about $70/head near me), and that can tell you if the crack is currently too deep, but it might be simpler just to eyeball them.

Between the valve cracks seem to vary greatly. Take a look at the heads... superficial cracks will be visible, but not much separation sideways or vertically. These can be left alone or lightly peened closed. (If you have the heads resurfaced, the machinist is likely to be cranky about the presence of cracks.) If there is more of a gap between the crack edges, or the edges curl/slant upwards (into the combustion chamber), they might warrant testing. These deeper cracks can connect the intake and exhaust ports to each other and to the combustion chamber.