Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

removal of expandable foam

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 '84 Flat-Four

'84 Flat-Four

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • South Jersey

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:32 AM

I am embarking on solving my windshield leak (84 GL wagon). After getting the dash off, I came across a bunch of expandable foam.:rolleyes: I managed to carve much of it out, but needless to say, there remains quite a bit. I want a clean area to work with...
Does anyone know off a quick simple solution. I know the "cleaner" it is sold with does a decent job (toluene i think), but does it work on dried old foam? Would 70 % or higher alcohol work? WD40 or carb cleaner...? I am trying also not to make a stinking mess, more like spot clean, slowly until its all gone... I also would like to be kind to the windshield gasket... thanks!

#2 zyewdall

zyewdall

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,132 posts
  • Ward, CO

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:25 PM

If this is the yellow stuff... probably not. The can says that only mechanical methods will remove cured foam. Acetone dissolves the uncured foam according to the can.

You could always try whatever nasty chemicals you have around and see if there's one that will do it. I found out that gasoline dissolves white styrofoam quite well... Possibly urethane car paint thinner (sold at automotive paint stores)... since it is a urethane foam.

Z

#3 '84 Flat-Four

'84 Flat-Four

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • South Jersey

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:35 PM

Good call on trying the urethane paint thinner... will do. :brow:

I also give a few other household goodies a try. I'll post my results if eventful.

#4 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:04 PM

:popcorn:

CHEAP steak knife, ginsu 2000 is my favorite choice, less than $2 for a FULL set
http://reviews.ebay....000000000089445

can be easily bent to cut those hard to reach places :brow:

#5 Olnick

Olnick

Ol' Subaru Guy

• Members
  • 2,587 posts
  • Honolulu HI

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:00 PM

:popcorn: ginsu 2000 is my favorite choice, less than $2 for a FULL set :brow:

But wait! That's not all!!!

#6 Flowmastered87GL

Flowmastered87GL

WCSS Drunk

• Members
  • 6,122 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 02 May 2009 - 02:08 PM

I would try PB blaster... if not that, then a knife or screwdriver and a shop vac.

#7 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,568 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:23 AM

I would take a lump of it and just try things around the house. Start with gasoline and work from there. be careful as this is a chemical reaction and can give off bad fumes.

nipper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users