Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where is the Cam Sensor and Crank Sensor in my EJ18 impreza?

i'm on dial up so i'm not playing with images. but they're the only sensors on the front of the engine. they are really easy to find and don't require removing anything to see, though they are surrounded by lots of stuff.

both are accessible from up top, through the engine bay. and both are the closest two sensors to the front of the engine. on the right (drivers side) side of he engine is the cam sensor. it's located behind the black timing covers that cover all the timing components. it's just to the right of the oil filler tube, down on the block not the intake manifold. it'll be the only sensor bolted there with wires on it.

the crank sensor is right above the timing cover in the center of the engine looking from the front. looking at the front of the engine it's the only sensor just below the alternator.

sensors are easy to find - they have wires going to them.

don't-touch,

you may know a lot about cars and just be new to subarus and i don't mean to question your knowledge or ability, but you'll get lot's more helpful info here if you tell us what are you working on and why you want to know where they are. what are you trying to fix / correct. what problem are you having?

besides, we like solving problems.

if it helps any, ej18 and ej22 are almost the same engine.

Hi. Hm no that first pic looks more like the engine oil pressure switch. The second pic does look like the crank position sensor. The crank position sensor is usually an orange colored sensor mounted on the top of the oil pump, kind of under the alternator, near that oil pressure switch sort of. Here it is on a 2.2L, the orange thing:

crankpositionsensor2.jpg

cam angle sensor is also orange at least mine was on 2.2L, also orange, here it is in a few spots the orange thing.

camanglesensor1.jpg

camcap3.jpg

don't-touch,

what are you trying to fix / correct. what problem are you having?

My car won't start. So it's come to the stage where Im going to change these two sensors and hopefully thats the problem. Have tried new coil pack, checked fuses, checked cambelt, checked fuel filter.

With the the CAM SENSOR I can't see in inside the or behind the right side cambelt cover (My car is right hand drive, im from New Zealand)

is it possible I don't have this cam sensor?

Edited by sub_dont_touch

is it possible I don't have this cam sensor?
If so, it might explain the starting issues. You must have a cam position sensor somewhere. I don't know that lhd vehicle engine would be any different than rhd....has to be near one of the camshafts somewhere obviousy.........

If so, it might explain the starting issues. You must have a cam position sensor somewhere. I don't know that lhd vehicle engine would be any different than rhd....has to be near one of the camshafts somewhere obviousy.........

I've looked high and low and all that I personally think could be the cam sensor is the one in my photo above, it is positioned on the block below the alternator

Do you have a distributor on the rear of the passenger side head?

I don't know what this would look like. But I don't think so. There is a square shape coil pack timing regulator (from what i've heard).