Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Where is the Cam Sensor and Crank Sensor in my EJ18 impreza?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sub_dont_touch

sub_dont_touch

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:14 AM

Hi,

If someone could point out to me where the Cam and Crank Sensors are I greatly appreciate it.

http://img511.images...1/2059/ej18.jpg

thanks

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,666 posts
  • WV

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:43 AM

i'm on dial up so i'm not playing with images. but they're the only sensors on the front of the engine. they are really easy to find and don't require removing anything to see, though they are surrounded by lots of stuff.

both are accessible from up top, through the engine bay. and both are the closest two sensors to the front of the engine. on the right (drivers side) side of he engine is the cam sensor. it's located behind the black timing covers that cover all the timing components. it's just to the right of the oil filler tube, down on the block not the intake manifold. it'll be the only sensor bolted there with wires on it.

the crank sensor is right above the timing cover in the center of the engine looking from the front. looking at the front of the engine it's the only sensor just below the alternator.

sensors are easy to find - they have wires going to them.

#3 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:34 PM

Should be roughly in these areas, at least that's where they are on all my soobs....

Posted Image

Edited by porcupine73, 02 May 2009 - 06:42 PM.

#4 sub_dont_touch

sub_dont_touch

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:01 PM

thanks for all the help.

would these be correct?
http://img207.images...3/camsensor.jpg
http://img164.images...anglesensor.jpg

i couldn't really see any plugs or wires on the right side.

#5 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,218 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:59 AM

don't-touch,

you may know a lot about cars and just be new to subarus and i don't mean to question your knowledge or ability, but you'll get lot's more helpful info here if you tell us what are you working on and why you want to know where they are. what are you trying to fix / correct. what problem are you having?

besides, we like solving problems.

if it helps any, ej18 and ej22 are almost the same engine.

#6 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:12 AM

Hi. Hm no that first pic looks more like the engine oil pressure switch. The second pic does look like the crank position sensor. The crank position sensor is usually an orange colored sensor mounted on the top of the oil pump, kind of under the alternator, near that oil pressure switch sort of. Here it is on a 2.2L, the orange thing:

Posted Image

cam angle sensor is also orange at least mine was on 2.2L, also orange, here it is in a few spots the orange thing.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 sub_dont_touch

sub_dont_touch

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:28 PM

don't-touch,
what are you trying to fix / correct. what problem are you having?

My car won't start. So it's come to the stage where Im going to change these two sensors and hopefully thats the problem. Have tried new coil pack, checked fuses, checked cambelt, checked fuel filter.

With the the CAM SENSOR I can't see in inside the or behind the right side cambelt cover (My car is right hand drive, im from New Zealand)

is it possible I don't have this cam sensor?

Edited by sub_dont_touch, 03 May 2009 - 04:33 PM.

#8 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:41 PM

is it possible I don't have this cam sensor?

If so, it might explain the starting issues. You must have a cam position sensor somewhere. I don't know that lhd vehicle engine would be any different than rhd....has to be near one of the camshafts somewhere obviousy.........

#9 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:41 PM

Do you have a distributor on the rear of the passenger side head?

#10 sub_dont_touch

sub_dont_touch

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:15 PM

If so, it might explain the starting issues. You must have a cam position sensor somewhere. I don't know that lhd vehicle engine would be any different than rhd....has to be near one of the camshafts somewhere obviousy.........

I've looked high and low and all that I personally think could be the cam sensor is the one in my photo above, it is positioned on the block below the alternator

Do you have a distributor on the rear of the passenger side head?

I don't know what this would look like. But I don't think so. There is a square shape coil pack timing regulator (from what i've heard).

#11 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:13 AM

Oh good point what year is this 1.8L? Is it fuel injected?

#12 sub_dont_touch

sub_dont_touch

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 04 May 2009 - 04:05 PM

1994. yes, injected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users