Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, I'm really looking at some sweet deals on a Special Edition Outback 2009. I just noticed the 2010 seems to have a new *body* (larger?) is this something I should be concerned about since I was planning on buying the 09? You know how people always say "wait for the new model?" Or, is t safe to say the 9's will hold their value?

I hated the body on the new Durango. Some changes are not always the best.

Thoughts?

The 2010 is a major redesign from 2009. It would be very difficult to say which I would like better without thoroughly checking out the new one in person. If it's not on the lot yet, that's hard to do.

Many people (myself included) shy away from the first year of a new design. Some things, like the CVT transmission, are radically different and completely new. There are always bugs to be worked out in a new design, so you have to ask yourself if you are comfortable with being the guinea pig.

When the 2010s are actually on the lot for sale, you should be able to get a really good deal on the leftover 2009s.

Just some things to consider.

EDIT: If you are worried about holding value, it depends where you are. Around here, Subarus don't depreciate much.

Edited by ron917

Do a search here on 2010 there is already a long indepth discussion on it. It will give you more info. I saw one in person it isnt that ugly looking. Digital pics suck sometimes as opposed to film and dont do it justice.

nipper

I think the 2010 design change is hideous and un-Subaru.

Looks more like a Camry-Accord-Sonata than a Subi IMO.

Agreed. It's hideous. However... I didn't like the last (2005?) model much when it came out, but over the past few years, it's grown on me and I kind of like the wagons now (still think the sedans are ugly).

Looks like subaru is getting bigger and bigger. Even the 2006 one feels like driving a boat compared to my old GL wagon. What happened to it being the small 4wd wagon? -- now it's just another giant awd SUV. And they won't even offer the manual transmission with the H6 engine. The reputation they are getting with alot of people who are new to subarus is as a higher end car, with not that good of mileage. Competing with Audi quattros now, instead of VW rabbits and toyota tercels like they did in the 80's. I'm kind of dissapointed.

What happened to it being the small 4wd wagon? .

Easy.

Crash standards have increased. More air bags require a stronger structure. We have gotten fatter. We have gotten more "stuff" that we need to drag along for our darling children wherever we go. We also demand more "stuff" be incorporated into our cars. We also insist on safer quieter cars.

Thats what happened to the small red wagon.

nipper

PS: The new one is smaller then the 2009 and in the same weight class and costs less as you gte upscale then a 2009.

Yes, you are right.... and 95% of people want that, and push the industry towards that. But it doesn't mean that I want all of that stuff though (bluetooth what?? and about 95% of the accidents on my commute are one car accidents, and that 30 foot boulder in the creek wins no matter what car hits it -- snow tires help you survive much better, by not going into the creek).

PS: The new one is smaller then the 2009 and in the same weight class and costs less as you gte upscale then a 2009.

It also has 6(?) more cubic feet of room and more ground clearance. I like the roof rack design too, swings from either side when in use, and back out of the way when not in use (aerodynamic improvement). Also has steeper approach and deproach angles. The vehicle definitely seems superior to the previous model in many ways.

It doesn't look that hideous to me really. Front end looks a little busy for me, but the rest of the car looks very nice in my opinion. But that's just an opinion so it doesn't really count I guess:rolleyes:. I think Subaru's doing a very good job at staying true to what they've always been, cheaper and more useful than the competition. I'm looking very forward to seeing one in person.

First year model bugs are probably something that will always keep me from getting a first year design. The 09s should have all the bugs worked out on them...plus if you need parts on a 09, the 07-09 will be available as parts for it, more cars to choose from.

I used to believe in the first year bugs thing too... but I bit the bullet and bought the 08 Impreza. I was one of the first handful of people to buy one in my area ( Now they are literally everywhere). I have had no complaints what so ever...bought mine early Nov 07 BTW...37K later its been wonderful.

I think it also helps if you buy from a good dealer. Mine has been incredible. Finding one that is extremely good with super high customer satisfaction is key. Mine stands behind every little thing. Even when they messed something up they were prompt at admitting responsibility and fixing the problem. ( Caved in my one rocker panel on the lift)

Out of curisoity i did a google on CVT issues. Honda may have a hiccup in their CVT hybrids but thats about it. Surprisingly aside from drivers whining about it not downshifting (they have no gears so they dont downshift) which is mostly an issue with people not understanding the dynamics, they seem to be holding up. Nissan Toyota Honda Ford Audi (which i did not know about) Jeep and BMW seem to be holding up well.

there are a few horror stories out there from Audi and BMW, but hell, my sister had a BMW that went through a auto tranny once a year, so i chock that up to the MFg and not the transmission.

nipper