Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No more speedometer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bergle

bergle

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • austin

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:19 AM

Hi all, My speedometer on my 93 Legacy wagon (automatic AWD) just stopped working one night while driving. The car does have 195,000 miles on it, but I just changed the front shocks and timing belt. and it is such a lovable car that I feel compelled to keep it going. Any thoughts? thanks-B

#2 greenleg88

greenleg88

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Long island ny/ LA, CA

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:45 AM

get a new cluster at a junk yard?
or is it the sensor that is bad?

#3 avk

avk

My Outback is bigger than yours

• Members
  • 959 posts
  • Somerset County, NJ

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:02 AM

If the needle doesn't move at all, there's probably something wrong with the cable or with the adapter that goes into the transmission.

#4 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:31 PM

one of 3 things
speedometer cable came unhooked from the back of speedometer behind dash

speedometer end assembly base that screws into the top of the transmission is malfuncitoning/worn out

the speedo driven gear or speedo drive gear INSIDE the transmission has succumbed to the age, miles, heat and it stripped, cracked, or simply broke. It is made of a nylon type plastic, and they can in time fail. Mine did this, as well as once each of the other 2 things above.

#5 bergle

bergle

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • austin

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:45 PM

Aside from the connection to the back of the instrument panel are the other options doable without dropping he transmission? many thanks-B

#6 avk

avk

My Outback is bigger than yours

• Members
  • 959 posts
  • Somerset County, NJ

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:26 PM

You only need to drop it if the gears are bad. The rest is accessible.

#7 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,994 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:50 AM

Search the USMB, you can do the gear without dropping the transmission, but its not a easy job!

#8 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:57 AM

Search the USMB, you can do the gear without dropping the transmission, but its not a easy job!

true i did my gear replacement when it was still in the car. axle out, mark lash adjuster, remove holding bolt, unthread ring with bearing, pull off the gear whats left of it, replace, replace seal and oring on the retainer, set lash etc....not a do it yourself job for most, I had Dad's help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users