Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Project EJ22 Hatch continues

Pooparu

I sure that some of you are familiar with my Project EJ22 Hatch (if not follow the link below to my car domain page). Well with the weather starting to improve I've set some goals on my Hatch.

1. Add power steering

2. Add reverse lights

3. Clean up some wiring

4. Get my intake relocated

So the first thing I'm going to do is add the power steering. While I'm at it I'm going to replace most of the suspension components too. I pull a cross member & rack from a 1983 wagon at the junkyard. The car had a ton of miles on it and the rack & cross member were covered with 26 years of oil and dirt. I'm going to pull it apart, clean, repaint and rebuild everything.

Here are some images of the begining process. I'm using Krylon Silver Hammer paint.

dsc03977l.jpg

dsc03978.jpg

dsc03981.jpg

dsc03982.jpg

dsc03986a.jpg

dsc03987.jpg

Right now I'm waiting on the parts to rebuild the pump and rack. I'll post more photos when it's all back together.

Let us know what grease you use for the rack and pinion gears. I checked into it a few years back and the grease was insanely expensive IIRC. It looks like a lithium base as it's white. It's also quite thick. When I talked with Lithia they had no clue as to the grease I should use as they claim to have never rebuilt one as they almost never fail and when they do they are replaced, not rebuilt.

I would be very careful about the installation of the teflon hydraulic seals as well - mine leaked worse when I put it together after an investigatory dissasembly than it did before I touched it. The rack tube may need to be honed or replaced if it's got any grooving or pitting damage. Also remember to order new lock washers as you will be destroying most of them in order to get the rack apart.

GD

I've rebuild a couple power steering racks and what they don't tell ya is you need a press to get the rack assembly back together..it was the only way I could get the new inner seal to go into its seat. The pinion shaft was easy with sockets and a press as well. The grease I used was a crc extreme pressure marine grease was red, thick and nasty. So far so good..zero leaks now, would go through a quart of atf in a month before.

hth

Kaz

I also finally got around to wiring up my 5 speed. I cut out my EA81 plug and wired in and EA82 plug. Just encase anyone else wants to know which wire goes where here is a photo. It wires up the reverse lights and 4WD low light.

So from the EA82 plug to the EA81 Plug:

(4WD low light)

Light Blue with Red line - Black with Red stripes

Green with Black line - Blue with Red line

(Reverse lights)

Black - Blue with Red stripes

Black - Green with Red stripes

The other two wires are not needed. They are for the neutral position sensor.

dsc04076.jpg

Well now my reverse lights are stuck on all the time when the key in on. I'm going to have to crawl under the car and check the switch now. I hope that fixes it. I did manage to get the new backup lights wired up to the stock reverse lights. I don't think that cars would want to drive behind me if the lights were stick on all the time. Hmmmm that might be a good thing:)

Here's what I've been working on.

5-lug swap

dsc04097.jpg

WRX Rims

dsc04098.jpg

WRX Brakes (cleaning & painting)

dsc04096okn.jpg

dsc04095.jpg

Thanks to the nice weather I've been very busy working on the hatch. I also but new wheel bearings in the front & I blew a set of bearings out in my rear diff, so I'm replacing that too.

Damn Poop,

looks sharp. Maybe I will park my wagon in your driveway when your finished. Just so you don't get bored.

Sure I'll get to it as soon as I finish the projects on my Hatch, Porsche & BRAT. You can pick it up sometime in the spring of 2020 :lol:

• Like 1

So what have you found out about the 5 lug swap - have you called your driveline guy yet? Checked out ball joint interface issue? This is something I want to do with my Brat at some point but I haven't worked on lining up any of the sources or researching it beyond knowing some of the issues.

GD

So what have you found out about the 5 lug swap - have you called your driveline guy yet? Checked out ball joint interface issue? This is something I want to do with my Brat at some point but I haven't worked on lining up any of the sources or researching it beyond knowing some of the issues.

GD

I'm working on testing some axle stuff out. As soon as I have something that works I'll let you know. As far as the ball joints go I can drill out the EA81 control are to accept the XT6 ball joint and the same goes with the steering knuckle to fit the EA81 tie rod ends. So the only real issue are the axles which I'm working on now. Also I'm working on ether a top hat swap or re-drilling for the shocks.