Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Project EJ22 Hatch continues

Pooparu

(I haven't got the parts to raise it up yet)

that is one od the best looking cars I have ever seen!! very jealous here.

are you just going to weld the proper brackets to the VW coils??

They bolt right up. I just had to file out the holes a little.

Ditto. Was looking forward to seeing your rig there. I didn't make it with the Brat, I ended up having fuel issues, and I am in the process of removing and cleaning the tank now.

I hope it works out, great job on the rig!

where the hell were you?cheers, brian:confused:

where the hell were you?cheers, brian:confused:

I had to go to my brother in Law's wedding that weekend. I was super mad :mad:

I'll make it next year for sure. I don't think I could of had the hatch ready anyway. I still need to do the AWD swap.

Looks like it was fun.

Okay so I finally got the ride height the way I want. I had to pull the rear torsion bars and rotated them to the desired level, then put them back in. I also installed new brake lines, and started to bleed the brakes. I only got the back finished 'cause I think the EA81 caliper hose bolt doesn't work with the WRX brakes. I'll have to check it out tomorrow. After the brakes are finished it's time for the AWD swap. Right now it's RWD (fun)

dsc04454u.jpg

• 2 months later...

It's been awhile since my last update on this ride. It's been on the back burner for now until I get my 1981 BRAT finished, but soon I'll be on this project again.

As it sits now: I've got the P/S in, WRX brakes, FK coil over suspension in and it's currently running in rear wheel drive.

Soon I'll have the AWD transmission in and start building the axles and drive line.

After that's all working and sorted I'm going to try and switch everything over to 4.44 gears and install a built EJ25 n/a block. I'm hoping to get the hatch to go 0-60 in the 5 sec. rang if I can.:-\

Veva la Subaru!!!!:banana:

I say turn a sleeve on the lathe to the correct ID for an interferance fit with the axle shaft. 1/4" wall would fit the bill - then you drill holes in it - 8 or 10 on either end of the sleeve. Heat to 250 degree's F and slip the cut axle ends into it. Then plug weld the holes on either end to lock it down. Should work just fine.

GD

that is what i'm going do in the morning....i've got the axles cut (had to cut them with a cut-off wheel on the grinder, the part-off tool in the lathe wouldn't cut them...lol it just polished the surface of the shaft...they are really really hard) and i spun sleeves up out of 4140 to be a 0.3mm crush fit.

looks like cutting about 85mm out of a legacy axle gets you to the correct length for a brumby/brat.... i'll know exactly tomorrow

• 5 months later...

Okay so I haven't updated this lately, but I've been busy with other projects. This one is now my main focus. My goal (like lots of you on here) is to have it ready for the WCSS.

So far I've got all of the drive train out and ready to install the AWD transmission. I'm also going to redo the engine bay too. I have a couple of small updates and tweeks I want to make all around the car too.

I'll post stuff as I finish it.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so I'm gearing up to pull the motor and refinish the engine bay, mount the transmission to the motor and reinstall everything. Then I can build some axles and a drive line. AWD here I come!

I also just got an EJ25. As soon as I figure out when and how I'm going to pick it up I can start building my high compression motor with torque cams.

I think once I'm finished this should be a torquie little hatch.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see I've got the AWD transmission matted to the EJ22 and now I'm working on fabricating the cross member. Then it's time to start fabricating the axles and drive line. I know the axles will have to be 2" shorter. I will cut, sleeve and weld them together.

I'll post some photos once I get everything put together. I'm also working on scoring some newer 17" Subaru rims.

I'll post some photos once I get everything put together. I'm also working on scoring some newer 17" Subaru rims.

I swear you are trying to copy my every move on the brat!:lol: We are going to have some serious twins when they're both done.

Well I'm going to try it out and see if it works.

Are you confident cut and welded axles will hold and/or not vibrate at speed? I'm also debating what to to with the axles for my EA81/EJ20 AWD swap but I will probably respline the wheel end.