Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Towing

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bgh831

bgh831

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Tres Pinos, CA

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:00 AM

Ok let's hear horror tales and funny ones. Heaviest load pulled with a sobbie? I think they are the most versitile car on the planet but I wouldn't throw a horse behind one, but I bet someone has! Pics of your tow rig?

#2 erik litchy

erik litchy

Leadfoot

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • Peoria IL

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:02 AM

my tow rig
Posted Image
Posted Image

gets decent mileage with a load about 17 mpg-flat road of coarse.
it just did a 700 mile trip.
shes an old 89 cherokee, only rated to tow 5500 lbs... pulls nice though!
has the engine balanced, blueprinted, stroked, .060 overbore, forged pistons, 10 pounds lighter crankshaft, nice cam, bigger throttle body, header, 4.10 gears and 33's.

Edited by erik litchy, 07 May 2009 - 10:04 AM.

#3 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:34 AM

Nice rig. Some people do some serious towing with soobs like way above what is recommended.

This is a '87 F250 my dad used to have, this thing was a beast, 472ci v8 or something like that engine I think it had. I think it had the dana 70 rear diff. It had a 5th wheel hitch that would pull this large camper trailer up the steepest hills without batting an eyelash.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 bgh831

bgh831

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Tres Pinos, CA

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:43 AM

Yeah I'm looking to sell and buy or trade my GMC for something better suited to towing a horse trailer up and down the mountain. The hatch ain't gonna cut it and nither is the 6" lift 35" tire shortbed GMC. Has to be some pics out there of someone pulling a horse behind a subbie tho

#5 bgh831

bgh831

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Tres Pinos, CA

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:47 AM

http://www.performan...om/conniew.html
Ha found an outback pulling an ultralight and one horse.

Edited by bgh831, 07 May 2009 - 03:33 PM.

#6 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

WileE Coyote Super Genius

• Members
  • 2,940 posts
  • West Des Moines, IA

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:53 AM

Posted Image
Not a pic of mine but it was just like this.

1998 F150 xlt with the 5.4 2wd

Hauled i dont know how much rock and chevells and mustangs. Even pulled a bus for a bit. Traded it in for the family car.:-\

Edited by The Dude Abides, 07 May 2009 - 11:03 AM.

#7 erik litchy

erik litchy

Leadfoot

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • Peoria IL

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:50 AM

Nice rig. Some people do some serious towing with soobs like way above what is recommended.

This is a '87 F250 my dad used to have, this thing was a beast, 472ci v8 or something like that engine I think it had. I think it had the dana 70 rear diff. It had a 5th wheel hitch that would pull this large camper trailer up the steepest hills without batting an eyelash.

i liked that body style, the newer ones are just enormous in comparison. give me one with the 6 speed and 7.3 and fill one tank with vegi oil. never liked the gas ones, filling both gas tanks would be too depressing.

#8 bgh831

bgh831

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Tres Pinos, CA

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:35 PM

I'm hopeing to do just that I got 4 local resturants to give me oil I just need to swap my truck for a diesel tow truck. It's a good truck but not for what I need it for. Hatch might have to go to. Sucks but such is life right.

#9 Gene J

Gene J

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Wheaton, IL

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:09 PM

When the flat bed from the trans shop came by to pick up our 98 GT wagon, the driver miss judged the clearance while pulling the car up.

It got stuck in a tree. There were a few scratches and one broken limb on the tree.

Has anyone else had their Subaru stuck in a tree? :grin:

#10 rat fink

rat fink

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:56 PM

This is my towing rig. I'm pretty fond of it.

Posted Image

#11 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:18 AM

^ nice rig. I can tell you don't live in the salt belt! :D

#12 Twitch de la Brat

Twitch de la Brat

Village Psycho

• Members
  • 1,520 posts
  • The Athol of Idaho

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:15 PM

This is my towing rig. I'm pretty fond of it.

Posted Image

:slobber:
Can
I
Have?

Is it 4WD or 2WD?
That thing is absolutely beautiful.
And I bet it pulls like no other with that 454.

#13 Psyko

Psyko

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 406 posts
  • Washington

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:52 AM

Biggest thing I ever towed. Did fine until a large hill and the 100+ weather forced us to pull over for a cool off.

Posted Image

#14 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,863 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:46 PM

Most I've pulled was with an EA82, 6x4 trailer with almost tonne/1000kg in it. Had a fairly steep hill to climb, ended up in 4wd lowrange 2nd gear. Worked, and the car is still driving around.
I had 600kg in the back of my Brat, suspension was bottomed out. Didn't do that again, bad idea.

#15 The Beast I Drive

The Beast I Drive

CALL ME, (509) 391-5903

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
  • Toppenish, WA

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:03 PM

Ive never pulled a trailer with my subes, but I have pulled a large v8 powered forklift with the Beast...

My scariest towing incident was towing home a 1988 Eagle Medallion on our car trailor with the 2500 Cumins Dodge...

The way the car was parked it was easier to load it on the trailor facing backwards, as it didnt run when I picked it up. Well, being front engine/fwd with a cast iron block, its heavy in the front. That didnt register with me until we were cruisin down the freeway and as i hit 60mph the trailor started swinging the whole truck from side to side, getting more violent as we slowed down until I got it below 40mph. I was scared ************less, but I was able to recover it and I didnt wreck, nor cause any wrecks. Learned my lesson on that one for sure!
-Bill

#16 subeman90

subeman90

Soobologist

• 2,777 posts
  • Akron PA

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:13 AM

the heaviest I have ever towed behind a Subaru was a Fiat 124 spyder on a 2 wheel dolly behind my 90 legacy AWD 5 speed. It towed that car better then my friends mom's s-10 blazer. :grin:

#17 erik litchy

erik litchy

Leadfoot

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • Peoria IL

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:43 PM

the heaviest I have ever towed behind a Subaru was a Fiat 124 spyder on a 2 wheel dolly behind my 90 legacy AWD 5 speed. It towed that car better then my friends mom's s-10 blazer. :grin:

then again thats not saying much, blazers arent the most stable things on the road:)

#18 Twitch de la Brat

Twitch de la Brat

Village Psycho

• Members
  • 1,520 posts
  • The Athol of Idaho

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:20 PM

I must agree with Erik.
GM seriously needed to revamp the suspension geometry on those things.
The sag like a candle next to a torch around corners.

Twitch

#19 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 3,929 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:35 AM

Been a few years ago. but I moved one simular to the pic around the yard with my '82 BRAT. Little difficult seeing around it to back up.

http://www.ultimates...&pictureid=1186

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users