Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Head Gaskets - Timing Belt & Water Pump

My 2000 OBW with 44K miles is at the dealer awaiting new head gaskets (thankfully, under the powertrain warranty).

Any advice whether I should have the timing belt and water pump done at the same time? It does only have 44K miles so it is rather early for both of those parts and they have given no indication of problems (and they are still under the powertrain warranty for another year), but, labor would be $0 (or should be) as it is all apart for the gasket replacements. What is the wisdom of the board?

Thanks!

K9Leader, Newark, Delaware

As I just posted in Another thread, My water pump is leaking, the car has 78,000km. I was going thru the manual, It doesn't look like a fun job, you have to remove the timing belt and the left cam pulley.

My Timing belt Tensioner was leaking @ 72,000km, The result was a intermittent knock at idle. The dealer replaced both the tensioner & belt under warranty.

Hope this info helps.

I had the timing belt tensioner replaced (on warranty) at 53K miles, and paid for the belt just because. Having a 100K service interval on the belt, I was already past halfway there, and it only cost ~$83 (parts only, labor on warranty). The car went in and had both head gaskets replaced at ~58K, and the dealer included the water pump and thermostat as part of the warranty repair. He said when the major systems are pulled down like that, they just do these other items because it is the smart thing. Plus, I got free oil and antifreeze changes:D, and the dealer always washes the car when they do a service. Manchester Subaru in Manchester, NH, by the way.

Speed Safely!!

approach.

I think this is dependent on your situation.

I am just doing shock mounts on my BMW and the shocks are about half gone and so are the brake pads.

So I am doing pads, shocks, mounts, and front struts.

I don't plan to get under the car for another five years.

Your choice, On my Forester at 89,000 I had a head gasket leak so I had head gaskets, oil pump seals, water pump, crank seal, tensioner, and belts.

I may not have that sucker apart on the engine front for as long as I own the car.