Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 GL Hatchback HELP!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

believe me, i understand how you feel! But it's like golf... you hit a hundred bad shots, hate the game, but you hit that one single good swing and it keeps you coming back.

Don't give up! It'll be a shame to sell it if it's a simple dead secondary diaphragm that's shot.

My guess (and I stress guess) is that the diaphragm for the secondary is shot on both carbs. From what I understand, it is common enough (especially in 20+ year old Soobs) to be seen in two carbs back to back. Rebuild kits don't address the diaphram at all.

Post some pics of your carb like Durania said and I'm sure members will have more input to provide than me. Plus pics attract members to posts... :)

DON'T GIVE UP, STAY COOL :cool:

Edited by '84 Flat-Four

How do i put images on here

Click on User CP, then Pictures and Albums, and go from there. If it doesn't make sense then click on FAQ and search "pictures".

On the secondary diaphram, have you pulled the diaphram off the carb since you rebuilt it to check for blockage of the vacuum passage or a bad gasket seal?

good news,... I was happy to see that you ordered the kit... :headbang:

Doing the swap is sooo easy,... plenty of write-ups and such to reference.

You will find that the throttle cable offset and cable bracket will cause you a bit of turmoil, but that's the extent of the troubles.... once you get it set up right, you'll be amazed at how easy it was... good luck and keep us posted...

yank it! :grin:

there's no need for it anymore.

You can pick up a box of vacuum caps at the local auto shop and cap all the vacuum lines (don't touch brake vac, of course);

run the vac line from the weber to the disty advance port; I suggest keeping the egr and hook it up to the port on the weber; some members have used the Hitachi's forked fuel inlet thingy (same thread as webers) and have kept the fuel return line going; I kept my weber inlet thingy and do not have a fuel return line, your choice I suppose...

the quarter trick does wonders for the ASV, btw.

So another question.... How can i get more power out of that tiny little EA-81?????

Melt it down and have it recast as an EJ22.

It's more expensive than it's worth to do much of anything beyond a carb swap or SPFI swap. Punch out the cat and saw off the muffler. Call it a day. Spend your pennies on an EJ22 and an adaptor plate.

GD

• 2 weeks later...