Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My head gasket story just keeps getting better!

I took my 2000 outback 78,000k to the dealer due to a leaky rad, and brown goo in the rad overflow tank. Their response... New Rad $322.40 plus 1.5 hr labour, The oil in the overflow tank is and I quote "Tech reports that at every 48000 km rad reservior should be removed form vehicle and cleaned- otherwise it developes a "cloudy - oil goo" appearance, as reported by customer." At this point I informed them that the rad fluid was new, and the bottle had been cleaned out a month earlier.

Today I fixed the rad, then during the pressure test (@23psi per the subaru manual) I found a leak from the thermostat housing, The water pump dripping away, and an external head gasket leak on the aft left bottom side of the engine, with the fluid running down the crossmember. The subaru dealer should have picked up the leak at the head gasket, There's green stains & deposits indicating a leak, I don't think he even looked, It was obvious! I have an appointment on Monday at another Sub dealer, Maybe this one will get it right!