Ultimate Subaru Message Board

gauge changeover

ok guys heres my new question of the wk. found out why my gauges were not working turns out the little computer board behind the gauges has a break in 1 of the lines,so i have to replace it no problem though i can get 1 easy from the junkyard here. my question though is----since i have to go to the junkyard anyway can i use a digital dash in the(since mine is analog)?? its been awhile but i believe the last digital dash i saw had the same type of plugs in the back? let me know ur thoughts on this its a 1985 brat gl 1.8 auto,4wd..appreciate ur input getting me another step closer to finishing this project.

If you can find a digi that works (doubtfull), then you still can't use it. All the sending units are different - right down to the fuel level sending unit inside the gas tank. They all have different resistance values, and the wiring is not the same either. Big job, and as was said by craig - the early digi's aren't reliable. In fact they are so unreliable, they are nearly impossible to find. I have one in my wagon - and I'm just waiting for it to blow one day.....

GD